DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Stackable washer dryer power question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/stackable-washer-dryer-power-question-165480/)

muphtrician 12-03-2012 01:08 PM

Stackable washer dryer power question
 
I have a washer/dryer unit that uses a single NEMA 10-30R cord:http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...38b_sp_220.jpg
After upgrading the outlet (30a) I used a multimeter to test the power, it was only ~130-150, it is connected correctly. I checked the breaker, it only has 2x 20a breaker for this outlet, and the wire is only 12g :(..

My main question is this.. The washer works (I assume it only uses 120v 15a?).. But the dryer won't even turn on. Is it safe to use the washer and NOT the dryer until I rewire the house or move somewhere else with accommodating outlet? Or does this raise safety concerns? What is the worst that would happen, tripped breaker? Or fire? Thanks for you help.

Also, if someone knows.. Is there an easier way to get my dryer working than rewiring the whole house? Alternate energy outlet (solar)? Power converter? Power inverter?.. Anything??

muphtrician 12-03-2012 01:31 PM

Nobody?

bobelectric 12-03-2012 01:37 PM

No takers. You are off to a bad start using 12/2 to feed a 30 amp 240 volt receptacle.

muphtrician 12-03-2012 01:43 PM

So it may trip the breaker?

muphtrician 12-03-2012 02:38 PM

Seems to be working just fine.. Thanks for nothing I guess :mad:

jbfan 12-03-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muphtrician (Post 1065559)
Seems to be working just fine.. Thanks for nothing I guess :mad:

Did you do anything?
Did it just start working?

sgip2000 12-03-2012 02:46 PM

130-150v is high for a single leg. Did you measure the voltage from the left and right slots or top to bottom? If wired correctly, it should still produce 240v, it will just max out at 20A.

Dave632 12-03-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muphtrician (Post 1065512)
I have a washer/dryer unit that uses a single NEMA 10-30R cord:http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...38b_sp_220.jpg
After upgrading the outlet (30a) I used a multimeter to test the power, it was only ~130-150, it is connected correctly. I checked the breaker, it only has 2x 20a breaker for this outlet, and the wire is only 12g :(..

My main question is this.. The washer works (I assume it only uses 120v 15a?).. But the dryer won't even turn on. Is it safe to use the washer and NOT the dryer until I rewire the house or move somewhere else with accommodating outlet? Or does this raise safety concerns? What is the worst that would happen, tripped breaker? Or fire? Thanks for you help.

Also, if someone knows.. Is there an easier way to get my dryer working than rewiring the whole house? Alternate energy outlet (solar)? Power converter? Power inverter?.. Anything??

Quote:

Originally Posted by muphtrician (Post 1065525)
Nobody?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muphtrician (Post 1065536)
So it may trip the breaker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muphtrician (Post 1065559)
Seems to be working just fine.. Thanks for nothing I guess :mad:

muph,

You seem to be under the impression that this forum is an on-call consult the electrician site. Your followup to your original post was only 23 minutes after the OP. Your, rather grumpy, last post was exactly an hour and a half after your OP.

Many of the forum readers are actual, working, electricians or other professionals. They respond to postings on their own time, if they have any. It's not unusual for a post to go hours or even days before someone who feels qualified to respond does so.

In other words... Patience, Grasshopper. :)

muphtrician 12-03-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1065563)
Did you do anything?
Did it just start working?

Thanks for your response.. The washer section works (I'm assuming it only uses 120v 15a) but the dryer section does not (Know for fact it's 240v 30a).. Just wanted to make sure the only risk of running the washer is tripping the circuit and not a fire hazard. They both operate off a single NEMA 10-30R cord so I wasn't sure..

The outlet only supports up 20a and reads at ~140-150 with a multimeter, I already know to get the dryer working I'd need to switch the breaker to 30a and rewire with 10g (unless someone knows another fix).

Just wanna make sure the washer portion won't catch my house on fire more or less.. I'll deal with the dryer later :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave632 (Post 1065568)
muph,

You seem to be under the impression that this forum is an on-call consult the electrician site. Your followup to your original post was only 23 minutes after the OP. Your, rather grumpy, last post was exactly an hour and a half after your OP.

In other words... Patience, Grasshopper. :)

You're right... Sorry, just have no clean clothes an the washer/dryer I just bought isn't going as planned. Just stressed sorry, I really do appreciate the help though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgip2000 (Post 1065567)
130-150v is high for a single leg. Did you measure the voltage from the left and right slots or top to bottom? If wired correctly, it should still produce 240v, it will just max out at 20A.

Thanks, yes I did. The right side is the only side showing power, when I touch <right - ground> or <right - left> it shows ~140-150.. <left - ground> shows 0. Perhaps the breaker is faulty? Even so, without switching it to a 30a and upgrading the wire too I don't think it would help. In the wall there were 3 wires, Black/White/Copper (ground) I connected the copper (ground) to the L socket and the White/Black to the other 2.

jbfan 12-03-2012 03:11 PM

What kind of receptacle was there before you upgraded?
Take a picture of the breaker panel and breaker in question.
Is this a rental?

muphtrician 12-03-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1065581)
What kind of receptacle was there before you upgraded?
Take a picture of the breaker panel and breaker in question.
Is this a rental?


There was a standard home outlet 120v, yes it is a rental... So I'm not trying to do something I can't easily reverse when I move out. Here is the breaker in question:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/tqn4k
(image wouldn't post, link will show it though)

It is the one second from the left on the bottom (9-10) 2x 20a switches.

There are 2 on top you can see that have no breaker but are wired with 10g wires and are 30a ready, I just have no idea what so ever where they lead to.

Thanks for your input.

jbfan 12-03-2012 03:39 PM

You need to disconnet your washer and call the landlord.
That is not a 2 pole breaker, but a tandem breaker.
You have a very unsafe setup now.
Doing electrical work in a rental is illegal in most areas.

sgip2000 12-03-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1065601)
You need to disconnet your washer and call the landlord.
That is not a 2 pole breaker, but a tandem breaker.
You have a very unsafe setup now.
Doing electrical work in a rental is illegal in most areas.

I agree.

jbfan 12-03-2012 04:35 PM

Guess they did not like my answer!

muphtrician 12-03-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1065601)
You need to disconnet your washer and call the landlord.
That is not a 2 pole breaker, but a tandem breaker.
You have a very unsafe setup now.
Doing electrical work in a rental is illegal in most areas.

Ok that's what I was trying to find out. Gonna disconnect it and put back the original outlet. Can you explain why this is unsafe? Thanks.

Also... Why am I calling the landlord now?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.