Sq D Trillaint Breaker Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Resident

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sq D Trillaint Breaker problem

My house was built in 1993 and the electrician decided that using the new Sq D Trilliant Breaker box would be the way to go. I think he really did it because he was so darn cheap. My whole neighborhood has these boxes but I digress. Aside from the breakers being as scarce as hens teeth, they also seem to trip more often than any other breaker I have experienced and that brings me to my issue. About 3-4 months ago a breaker tripped and I tried to reset it but no matter what I did the breaker would not reset. There was no load on the circuit so I assumed that the breaker was bad. Fortunately I purchased an extra 15 amp breaker when I re-did the basement so I simply pulled the old breaker and put the new one in. Poof, everything worked fine. When I looked at the old breaker I flipped the tab and it reset but I did not re-install it thinking that there probably was still something wrong with it. Yesterday, my dryer 30 amp breaker tripped and now I can not reset it. I unplugged the dryer and shut down most of the breakers on the panel and it still won't reset. I am thinking that if I pull the breaker it will reset and will work when I put it back in. My question is: Has anyone had issues with these breakers ? I am thinking of having the whole box replaced.

Thanks in advance
JMR

Advertisement

jmreynol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,236

I'd replace the panel. Yours hasn't been made since 1991 or so. I prefer the Squard D QO panel, but the Homeline is good too. And the breakers are readily available.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

It will be wise idea to just replace the whole panel due the breaker is pretty hard to find { I know they stop made them way back early 90's } so get a common SqD QO series or HOM series breakers with load centre they are far much more common with this set up.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Resident

Rewards Points: 10

Just wanted to say thanks to those who responded. I changed the 30amp breaker and it is definitely broke. I am going to take everyone's advice and replace the whole setup. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks
JMR
jmreynol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trilliant