Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Share |

splitters for fios modem and tv?

hi

i'm relocating the modem and adding a tv to the 2nd floor

can a tv and modem be on the same coax? if so what splitter should i use when i split them?
bbillcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbillcee
hi

i'm relocating the modem and adding a tv to the 2nd floor

can a tv and modem be on the same coax? if so what splitter should i use when i split them?
With FIOS your video is over Coax but the Internet can be either CAT5 or Coax with MOCA capable ONT's. I just did the same thing but I have CAT5 and Coax coming into the house. I have both CAT5 and Coax running to my router. I used a splitter to split the coax going to my router and to my new TV. I relocated everything to my basement so it was easy because the service entrance was really close to my router and new TV. If you want i can give you the model number of the splitter I used. Sounds like you might have all coax so your situation might be different.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
With FIOS your video is over Coax but the Internet can be either CAT5 or Coax with MOCA capable ONT's. I just did the same thing but I have CAT5 and Coax coming into the house. I have both CAT5 and Coax running to my router. I used a splitter to split the coax going to my router and to my new TV. I relocated everything to my basement so it was easy because the service entrance was really close to my router and new TV. If you want i can give you the model number of the splitter I used. Sounds like you might have all coax so your situation might be different.
i'm using all coax....but i notice on the 3 way splitter the modem is now it has to -7 db and 1 -3.5 db which the modem is on....does the modem usually go on the lower number?

please send me the model splitter u got
Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #4

Here is a picture of the splitter. White cable goes to router and black cable goes to new TV set.
Attached Images

clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #5

thanx buddy