Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

split receptacle on three way switch

In switch one I have the power source, a three wire running from switch one to two. In switch 2, I have the three wire between the switches, and a three wire going to the outlet. Is this scenario right? Will the outlet work and be split the way I have it configured??

suseagulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #2

You'll need to break the tab on hot side of plug and use say the red as a switch leg for half the plug and the black as the constant load

macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

I understand how to wire regular split outlets, but this three way scenario is confusing me....could you possible elaborate more and maybe post written instructions? I just cannot get a handle on this for some reason. More specifically, in addition to wanting a diagram, I cannot figure out which wire in switch two gets put on the common terminal...

Thanks for your help!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Master Electrician

As I understand your configuration you cannot switch half the recep and have half the recep constantly hot. You could switch the whole recep with your configuration.

White power wire splices to the white of the three wire at switch one and splices to the two three wires at switch two and connects to the recep. Black power wire at switch one connects to the common at switch one, black and red from three wire connect to the other two terminals at switch one. Black and red from three wire from switch one connect to the two terminals of second switch. Black or red from three wire to recep connect to the common on switch two. This leaves you with one unused wire.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
suseagulls (08-04-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
As I understand your configuration you cannot switch half the recep and have half the recep constantly hot. You could switch the whole recep with your configuration.

White power wire splices to the white of the three wire at switch one and splices to the two three wires at switch two and connects to the recep. Black power wire at switch one connects to the common at switch one, black and red from three wire connect to the other two terminals at switch one. Black and red from three wire from switch one connect to the two terminals of second switch. Black or red from three wire to recep connect to the common on switch two. This leaves you with one unused wire.
How can I switch half the recep then. There are ten receptacles in the room and I only want two of the them swtiched ( the two on each side of the bed) The power source is into switch one as mentioned in my original post....The room is already drywalled and I am desparate for a solution tonight....
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseagulls View Post
In switch one I have the power source, a three wire running from switch one to two. In switch 2, I have the three wire between the switches, and a three wire going to the outlet. Is this scenario right? Will the outlet work and be split the way I have it configured??
What are you trying to do?

Keep one half of the split receptacle always hot, the other half switched by the 3-ways?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
What are you trying to do?

Keep one half of the split receptacle always hot, the other half switched by the 3-ways?

Yes, currently the way I have it configured, it switches the entire recep.... I guess what I am asking is their any solution keeping in mind the power source is in switch one and not to the receptacle line first??
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #8

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
so I cannot go from switch two to the receptacle? I have to either go from switch one or run the power source to the recep first?
thanks for the diagram, but could you write down the connections in words so to speak. Ie switch one, black from panel to common, etc... I would really appreciate it

Last edited by suseagulls; 08-04-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseagulls View Post
Yes, currently the way I have it configured, it switches the entire recep.... I guess what I am asking is their any solution keeping in mind the power source is in switch one and not to the receptacle line first??

I don't think what you want to do is going to work unless you pull new 3-wire, wires in. I am assuming you just have 14/2
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't think what you want to do is going to work unless you pull new 3-wire, wires in. I am assuming you just have 14/2
I have a 14/2 feed into switch one, than a 14/3 from switch one to switch two.

In switch two, i have the aforementioned 14/3 between swithes, and a 14/3 to the first recep I want switched, than 14/3 from that outlet to another outlet I want switched, than a 14 2 to another outlet ( their are seven additional outlets ( I only want the first two switched on each side of our bed ) the ohters I want hot all the time...???
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #12

A regular split switched outlet is no problem, but the three way switched split outlet is really frustrating me....I just cannot grip the wiring schematics. I thought feeding the first switch and going from switch to switch first and than to outlets would do the trick, but its not working, and i am looking for the easiest fix possible trying to use the existing wiring in place if at all possible???

This is obviously something not too common and I am really appricuiative of all the help you guys are extending...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #13

hmmm. Sound like that may not work as the white is used as a neutral conecting from the panel to switch 1 and then 2 and from there to the first receptacle. There is no constant hot at switch 2 which is even able to go to the plugs. By this is sounds as if all the plugs are currently switched either on or off!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #14

Is this a new house or an addition. Who wired it? Yourself or an electrician. If the later, I would have them come and fix it by re routing a 3wire to make this work.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Is this a new house or an addition. Who wired it? Yourself or an electrician. If the later, I would have them come and fix it by re routing a 3wire to make this work.
Its at my house, I wired it......what wire do I need to run to make this work?

Yea thats the problem ughh this is frustrating....how do I get a constant hot to switch two?

All the outlets are looped and eventually end up at the second switch, could i jump a hot off of switch one where the panel feed is into a the closest receptacle?? That is what I am leaning...

Last edited by suseagulls; 08-04-2010 at 09:53 PM.