Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
NPS

Share |
Question

Split Receptacle on 3-Way Circuit

Years ago, I replaced a switched receptacle with a receptacle so that it would no longer be switched. Now I have to change it back to being half-switched (on the bottom).

I did this and it works beautifully -- no problems. However, the next day I noticed that our doorbell and an outside security light (which was always on) didn't work -- presumably on the same circuit, since they worked before. These, of course, would have been constantly receiving power and not on any switch. In any case, they do not come on when the switch is turned on.

Obviously, I wired the new (switched) receptacle incorrectly, but I have no idea how. To complicate things, it's on a 3-way circuit, with the switched-half controlled by two switches (one in the kitchen and one in the living room). Again, the outlet works fine, just like it's supposed to, and all the other switched outlets in the room work fine, also, but I've lost power to two fixtures supposedly beyond the receptacle.

The receptacle had six wires coming into it, plus ground: Two red, two black, two white. I presumed the two red were the switch, the two black were hot, and the two white were neutral. I pig-tailed like colors together and ran the black to the top of the hot (brass) side of the receptacle, the white to the top of the neutral (silver) side, and the red to the hot (brass) side of the bottom of the receptacle.

THere's got to be an easy answer to this, since it worked at one point in history, but it's beyond my capability. :confused: Any ideas? Thank you!

NPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Does this switch control more than this outlet? If it does, then what I am going to tell you will not work. Maybe one of the red wires iis meant to be hot all the time, and one red wire comes from the switch. Let me know how it is set up.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
NPS

Yes, the switch (or switchES) control multiple outlets in the room (bottom half only). Including the one I replaced, I believes there's at least 4 and maybe 5.

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

I'm thinking that it just happened. I don't see any other way for it to work unless you made a bad connection. I think the doorbell and light are fed from something else.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:33 AM   #5
NPS

I'll open up the box and check the connections again. From what you're saying, it sounds like I wired it correctly, but maybe something popped out somewhere. Otherwise, I'll have to figure out what circuit the doorbell & light are on.

I'll post a follow-up once I've dug around some more.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Do all the other outlets work? Are all the tops on all the time, and the bottoms on when you flip the switch? If so then I am sure you have it wired correctly. How was it wired before you changed?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #7

Isn't the doorbell feed from a transformer. That is the way it is done around here. If it is find the transformer,(maybe in the mech room), look for problems with that circuit. If the bell is not feed from a transformer disregard this post. Make sure you got all your breakers back on after you were working on the plugs. Well! It happens!!! HS.

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote