Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |

Split bus panel. Should I rip it out?

My home was built in 1978. I have a Gould 150A split bus panel. The first 4 breakers are double size and do:
Electric Range, Central AC
70A "main", Electric Dryer

The rest are the mini breakers (2 small's in the size of 1), except for 1 GFI breaker that goes to an electrical outlet in each bathroom (2 of them).

I was always perplexed as to where the heck was the main? I've replaced outlets and switches in rooms from the 1970's brown to a more modern white. Whenever I shut of the power, I always have to double check.

So do you think it's worth ripping out this 1978 split bus panel and put in a regular 200A panel with normal sized breakers? I don't have any non-living space that could be renovated, so 150A service works fine. But whos to say 10 years down the road we don't install a hot tub or something like that?

Anyway just really need to know if it's a hazard or code violation. The home inspector didn't bring it up. The only thing he said about it was that the GFI breaker was old and he'd rather see a regular breaker with a GFCI outlet in the bathroom. Well I put a GFCI outlet in the bathroom because I wanted all white outlets and switches so it looks nice. I also change the 1978 outlets from back stabbed connections to using the screw terminals on the newer stuff.

Last edited by cypherx; 09-29-2011 at 05:10 PM.
cypherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

The double pole breakers at the top together act as the main. You are allowed up to 6 throws of the hand to shut off the power.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Floor Sweeper

As long as the panel is not deteriorated (rust/corrosion) or broken or missing parts, I'd probably leave it and upgrade when or if you need it.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If wanting to expand, keep the split and add a appropiate sized sub for whatever you are doing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote