Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

splicing aluminum to copper

I am using 2/0 aluminum to feed a barn. the 2/0 will not fit in the 100 amp breaker without cutting off 2-3 strands. what options do i have . I want this to be safe and be done correctly. Thanks

Jxl062643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

http://www.polarisconnectors.com/black.html
Use the IT series.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

You need to determine what the max size wire the breaker will accept... it should be on the side of the breaker. There is no need to switch to copper. You can use split-bolts or splice block (both will require taping WELL), or a Polaris connector. http://www.polarisconnectors.com/pdfs/NSi/IT_series.pdf
Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

Thanks guys, If this was tapped good would it be ok to make the splice in the panel.
Jxl062643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxl062643 View Post
Thanks guys, If this was tapped good would it be ok to make the splice in the panel.
Yes. I would use the polaris, a little pricey, but taping not required.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Let me add my 2 cents on this. I know what you're talking about with 2/0 not fitting the lugs for a 100A panel, I had to splice extra length into my feeder cable because of inspection issues leading me to have to route through conduit and move the panel such that the 1/0 feeder I had in place not fitting. I had 2/0 SE cable on hand which I had considered using, but I found that 1/0 was the largest that fit into the lugs.

So at any rate, I was between jobs so I needed to do this as low cost as possible. I did my splice with more 1/0 cable, but the same info would apply - I bought split-nut connectors at about $4 ea whereas I think the polaris connectors would've been $15. Multiply by 3 (I had a long enough ground conductor) and the difference seemed substantial.

What I had not taken into account was the taping. Rubber tape cost me $9 for a 10' roll and it took 2 rolls.

If you need to tape, 3M has a video of the taping procedure on youtube, search for split nut taping.

At any rate, my point is that the cost savings of split-nut connectors is still there, but probably not as much as it seems if you only look at the split nut vs polaris connector cost. And maybe others can comment as to the size of the mass of tape that you might be able to avoid having to fit into your panel vs. the presumably smaller polaris connector?
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (06-23-2011), jbfan (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

I can use the split bolt but really it will really eat up your time and somehow it will look like big blob of black tape ball { it can really take up alot of room espcally if you have 55mm˛ or larger cable ( 1/0AWG) }

I go thru alot of tape when I use the split bolt typically 1 to 4 rolls depending on size and voltage and how it connected { just leave very high voltage stuff out of this one I been there and done that so just don't ventre there it will knock your feet off if I comment on that }

And it will take a bit of time with tape compared to Polairs connector it will cut the time more than half of the time and leave the area cleaner.

I can justify the cost of polairs connectors due the amount of time I have to work on alot of conductors for me it save labour time.

I know Polairs connectors are not cheap but it worth it in long run.

You should see how we do very large conductor which they are more than twice larger than what you have the last one I just got done earlier this eveing that was a 240mm˛ { that is 500 KCM cable }

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #8

This is only an example of what you could use. They make similar adapters that will accept the 2/0 conductor.
The one in the picture is what it looks like. This one is designed to allow a larger conductor to be connected to a buss bar. It would not be listed for your application. Just a picture you can take with you while searching for the correct one.
Attached Images

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote