Splice Triplex Line??????? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Splice triplex line???????

We spent $500 on triplex line (4/0-4/0-2/0) to run from a barn to a pole. I'm afraid the amount of line left on the spool at the pole will not reach the transformer which is 40' high. Is is feasible to splice a new section of line in, above-ground, on the pole? We are about to bury the line but don't want to have to dig it back up if a splice isn't permitted or possible.

Advertisement

klaaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Yes. I assume you are going to run the triplex in pvc up the pole to protect from physical damage. One way is to securely mount a PVC box to the pole and use polaris taps to make the splice. Others may have a better solution. Welcome to the forum.

Andy

Advertisement

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Can you even bury triplex? I always use URD...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Be careful. Many jurisdictions do not allow splicing of service laterals.

I'll refrain from any comments about measuring wire and always adding some to the number. I am a VERY close measurer myself. I do scare myself sometimes.

I would flake it out and see for sure if there is enough before going ANY further.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

My measuring wheel when checked today measured 42 actual feet per my tape measure as 36 feet. Packed gravel surface - maybe that is what led to the problem. So over 150 feet the wheel was 25 feet short or thereabouts. We thought we added 50' to the required run of wire, but something went awry anyway. What a royal fool I am.

Anyway, right now there is 42 feet of wire available at the pole, and 35 feet to the base of the transformer - there ain't gonna be any slack for the power company to mess with. What a nightmare. There is barely 5' of wire available to run up the barn to a meter.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would think that the poco would splice in the boot or sleeve running up the pole. The splice overhead lines all the time.

You may have to schmooze em though.

Maybe you are miscalculating the height of the pole ???

Next time install your mule tape BEFORE you order the wire.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Electrician philosopher

Good point on jurisdictions, Speedy. I never scare myself...I'm always way long. Used to work with a guy that would drive me crazy, though. He had some sort of wire stretching skill and always made it work. It would piss me off, though.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Could you put your meter at the pole and install a disconnect or transfer switch on the outside of the barn? This way you could buy enough additional wire to run up the pole from the meter to the transformer. Also it's been my experience that the guys on the line truck from the power co. can be very helpful if you are nice.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Electrician philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
Could you put your meter at the pole and install a disconnect or transfer switch on the outside of the barn? This way you could buy enough additional wire to run up the pole from the meter to the transformer. Also it's been my experience that the guys on the line truck from the power co. can be very helpful if you are nice.
I think that maybe the best idea yet.

Butt-kissing the POCO is also an excellent idea.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Can you even bury triplex? I always use URD...
I believe what he is describing IS URD. Many folks mistakenly call URD triplex.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
Then you would need a four wire cable as the first disconnect is the point of grounding where you separate the neutral and ground wires.
I think I would contact the POCO and see what their policy on splicing on the pole.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Then you would need a four wire cable as the first disconnect is the point of grounding where you separate the neutral and ground wires.
In most places in the US Joe we can use 3-wire from a pole or pedestal disconnect to a remote structure.
There are typically no metallic paths from the pedestal to the structure so this is a safe and legal exception.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #13

I think it is URD. I don't know where I got the name triplex. I appreciate all the comments. Remember I am really inexperienced in this field and am consulting with an electrician in the family, by phone, to get this project done. The URD was layed on a bedding of screened topsoil amended with finely ground mulch. I put 2-3" of stone screenings on top of the cable because I couldn't get a hold of sand over the weekend. Well, today's rain caused a lot of soil to cave into my ditch. Should I just bury the cable now, or clear the soil/rocks off by hand, and then put in 6" of sand on top of the cable/screenings before backfilling? The power company recommends 4" of sand under, and at least 6" of sand over, but perhaps this is unnecessary? I don't mind doing the grueling hand labor if it is really needed to surround this cable with sand and soft materials.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Electrician philosopher

Has anyone ever seen the POCO being followed by a sand truck while they are burying undergrounds? Hard to advise you on this one, IMHO.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,440

Calling it triplex isn't incorrect at all. It is a triplexed cable assembly.... generally though we call an overhead drop with bare neutral messenger a "triplex". If you look in your distributors catalog you will see your direct cable very likely referred to as a triplexed secondary underground cable.

4/0 4/0 2/0 URD direct burial triplex secondary is code named "Sweetbriar" thats how your distributor orders it with reduced neutral where only unbalanced load is going to be carried. A 4/0 neutral is named "Monmouth"
You can even get the underground triplex ruggedized if your going to bury in a rocky trench.

Now having added that bit of trivia I'm going to go along with Speedy and say they may not splice it. Just what you wanted to hear..... Reason I say that is they will run it in conduit up the pole (see Andys post) And they won't splice nothing inside that conduit. I wouldn't bury either because they are going to need to install the conduit and a 36" radius sweep bend at the bottom of the trench. They may spice it for you up by the transformer though you will just have to wait and see what they say. I wouldn't do anything till I get answers from your utility.

Ain't a thing wrong with the sand darn good way to keep the cable dry and protected. Don't worry too much about the dirt that fell into the trench but you might want to get any big rocks out of there.

Are they going to want to inspect the open trench? I'd find out before I covered.

How deep is the trench?

Why don't you go on line and see what you can find out at your utilities website?

Or give us the utility name and maybe we can check things out for you?

Advertisement

Last edited by Stubbie; 11-26-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote