Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 AM   #1

Share |

Splice inside a wall

My husband and I were installing a medicine chest in our newly remodeled bathroom today and discovered an electrical wire with a splice that had wire nuts and electrical tape wrapped around it just hanging inside the wall. It was not contained inside the blue box for the light swith/outlet that it was intended to provide power for. Is this up to code and what needs to be done to correct this?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Gracie1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #2

Splice inside a wall

It's hard to see from this angle exactly what's going on there. Why do I see three yellow wires? I'm guessing the white wire it the feed.

I'd move it to the existing box if there's room or put in another box next to the existing box so it's accessible.

That's totally against code as is.

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
When is fishing season?

Splice inside a wall

Gracie, that splice has to be inside of a box... period. The box must also remain accessable as well,wether it be in an outlet box of a standard junction box where there is the ability to remove the cover WITHOUT having to remove finished material (drywall).
Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #4

Splice inside a wall

You could install a larger box if you need some extra space to make the connection inside the existing box. Never a good thing to make connections in a wall or any other inaccessible location.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Splice inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie1975 View Post
My husband and I were installing a medicine chest in our newly remodeled bathroom today and discovered an electrical wire with a splice that had wire nuts and electrical tape wrapped around it just hanging inside the wall. It was not contained inside the blue box for the light swith/outlet that it was intended to provide power for. Is this up to code and what needs to be done to correct this?
Thanks in advance.
Gracie, the short answer is NO, splices are required to be made inside a box. What you have is a code violation and fire hazard. Move the splices into the box.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #6

Splice inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHouse75 View Post
It's hard to see from this angle exactly what's going on there. Why do I see three yellow wires? I'm guessing the white wire it the feed.

I'd move it to the existing box if there's room or put in another box next to the existing box so it's accessible.

That's totally against code as is.
The best I can figure from talking to my husband is this.

The yellow cable that's coming through the stud is the feed. the two yellows that are after the tape are for the light switch and the GFCI outlet that are in the blue box. The white coming out the top runs up to the light above my vanity. It's just a strange configuration to me. Thanks for the info though.

And, to everyone else. Thank you for all of the input. It is greatly appreciated. We'll be repairing that as soon as he gets home from work and checking around to see if we find any other such areas in our wiring.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Splice inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie1975 View Post
The best I can figure from talking to my husband is this.

The yellow cable that's coming through the stud is the feed. the two yellows that are after the tape are for the light switch and the GFCI outlet that are in the blue box. The white coming out the top runs up to the light above my vanity. It's just a strange configuration to me. Thanks for the info though.

And, to everyone else. Thank you for all of the input. It is greatly appreciated. We'll be repairing that as soon as he gets home from work and checking around to see if we find any other such areas in our wiring.
Very easy then to fix. The feed will come into the box. 2 short wires will then be attached with wire nuts to the black wire and will feed the GFCI and the Switch. One short wire will attach to the white alone with the white going to the light. The short white will feed the GFCI. The ground will get 2 short wires for both the switch and the GFCI and also connect to the ground to the light. All connections will then be made inside the box. The white and black will connect to the line screws of the GFCI, not the load screws. The light is not required to be GFCI protected. Stop back if you have any other questions.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Splice inside a wall

That is what is called a Homeowner Hack job.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #9

Splice inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
That is what is called a Homeowner Hack job.

If you're talking about the original work that was done, a paid contractor did it for us...I'll agree with the hack job part though. LOL
Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
General Contractor

Splice inside a wall

It looks like a double or triple gang box was removed and replaced by the blue single gang box. There's obviously a drywall patch that is curiously the same size as a larger box. Why was the old box removed? It also looks like they tore or notched the sheet rock above and below the box to clear the nail flanges when they pulled the old metal nail-on box out. Why was the old box removed? Was it eliminated during work done on the other side of the wall?

I only ask because you may not have enough room in that single gang box with the receptacle in place to safely use it as a junction box as well. Can you go back to a larger box in that location or is there something on the other side of the wall (cabinet, etc)?

I'm not in my office, but one of the sparkies can probably tell you from memory how many conductors you can safely make up in that box, along with the receptacle.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 05-15-2008 at 03:34 PM.
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Splice inside a wall

2 Incoming wires/4 conductors, and at least no more then 12awg.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician

Splice inside a wall

OP states there is a switch and a GFCI receptacle in this box. I would be lead to believe it was therefore a double gang box, and it appears to be a blue Carlon type nail up 4X. There would be more than enough room for the two devices and the 7 #12 conductors. Agreed?

Last edited by jrclen; 05-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote