Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?


HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION:

There is a MAIN panel from which a subpanel will be feed by a unspecified large conductor (range #4-1/0) .

The MAIN panel has but one termination bar to which both neutral and ground are terminated. However, the holes that are available to receive the wire appear only large enough to receive up to a #6 or #8 conductor.

QUESTIONS:

How does one go about terminating the neutral on the larger feed conductor?

Would you use a supplementary bar with larger lugs and a bonding strap to the neutral bar?

If so, because the NEUTRAL and GROUND are bonded in the panel case, can this new bar be attached directly to the case?

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell Tarin View Post
HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION:

There is a MAIN panel from which a subpanel will be feed by a unspecified large conductor (range #4-1/0) .

The MAIN panel has but one termination bar to which both neutral and ground are terminated. However, the holes that are available to receive the wire appear only large enough to receive up to a #6 or #8 conductor.

QUESTIONS:

How does one go about terminating the neutral on the larger feed conductor?

Would you use a supplementary bar with larger lugs and a bonding strap to the neutral bar?

If so, because the NEUTRAL and GROUND are bonded in the panel case, can this new bar be attached directly to the case?
Lugs are manufactured for the purpose of attaching to an existing bar. I have also seen, but do not recommend, the individual strands of a conductor separated into bundles small enough to fit under a couple of different screws on a bar.

As far as terminating a neutral on the case of a panel, don't do it. It is a hack job at best. The neutral current would rely on the panel for continuity.

InPhase277

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?


So do these lugs physically attach to the neutral bar or do they have a bonding strap that connects them?
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell Tarin View Post
So do these lugs physically attach to the neutral bar or do they have a bonding strap that connects them?
Are these what your asking about?

http://contractorservices.homedepot....a-02cd3db11ccc
http://www.drillspot.com/products/52...AN_Neutral_Lug

Last edited by jerryh3; 02-20-2008 at 02:32 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?



So, how is this attached to the neutral bar?
And are lugs of this type panel specific, i.e. Square D for Square D or Siemens to Siemens?
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell Tarin View Post

So, how is this attached to the neutral bar?
And are lugs of this type panel specific, i.e. Square D for Square D or Siemens to Siemens?
The two little spades are inserted into two adjacent screw holes. I believe they are brand specific.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Specialized Termination Bars?


Thanks dude. This is good info.

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown molding termination at tile Stickboy Carpentry 4 12-26-2011 10:35 PM
Repairing Futon metal bars? mikehende General DIY Discussions 9 01-24-2008 09:04 AM
2 Ground Bars in sub panel Paul_D Electrical 5 06-14-2007 09:25 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.