Speaker Wire In Conduit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Speaker wire in conduit

Hi folks,

Question first: is it generally code legal to put speaker wire in the same conduit that has line voltage? (I realize it's not an ideal practice and can cause hum/interference...)

Sitation: a few years back we built a pergola outdoors and ran electrical to the top to power an outdoor ceiling fan/light. Work was done by a licensed electrician and put in proper conduit.

The tricky part was running up one of the pergola legs. We thought ahead (but not far enough, apparently ) by notching the 6x6 post and embedding the conduit, which was then clad with cedar and stone, and of course the patio fieldstone floor surrounding it.

I'd like to put speakers up there too, but that means getting speaker wire to the top of the pergola. There's no good way to do this without serious destruction or ugly conduit run outside the stone accents.

While I realize it's not generally a great idea to run the cables in parallel, I wanted to see if it was generally (I'm in NC) code legal to do so?

If it is code legal, I figure it's worth trying before resorting to some tear down.

Thanks much!

Advertisement

bhnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Speaker wire in conduit

numerous companies make wireless speakers. try tigerdirect or newegg. the only thing they need is power. some even run on batteries or ac adapter. they also have the speakers that look like a big rock for outdoors.

Advertisement

Last edited by DannyT; 08-06-2011 at 04:43 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Speaker wire in conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhnc View Post
Hi folks,

Question first: is it generally code legal to put speaker wire in the same conduit that has line voltage?

Thanks much!
Absoutly not.
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Speaker wire in conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
numerous companies make wireless speakers. try tigerdirect or newegg. the only thing they need is power. some even run on batteries or ac adapter. they also have the speakers that look like a big rock for outdoors.
Thx -- yeah it's already part of a Sonos system. I have a few alternatives mapped out with where to put some of the components (including some varients, like the "rock speakers") but the ideal (from an audio quality, ease of use, cost, ease of installation) would require colocating the speaker cable in that conduit.

In searching the net for this answer, it looked like some felt not allowed, others though it was as long as the cable was properly rated.

I'm under the assumption it's not allowed, but figured I'd ask.
bhnc is offline   Reply With Quote