I recently removed a light fixture and attached a new chandelier.
When it was all attached, turning on the chandelier at the light switch tripped the breaker. I removed the screw that keeps the parts of the chandelier flush together and turning on the light would make sparks shoot out (no breaker tripping).
The sparks and bit of smoke seem to be coming from the connector that connects the 5 lights to the wires going up the base and attaching to the household wiring. I don't see any burn marks or melting on that connector, however.
Both wires in the box are white, so I may have mixed them up. Would that cause the problems?
Screws may have pierced insulation on hot(black) wires. Spark point should be quite obvious, burn marks, melted wires, etc. All whites from fixture go to white of house wiring. All blacks go to black. Assuming wiring was done correctly at start.