This morning while my girlfriend was using a hairblower on high (certainly not the first time on this outlet with this appliance), the outlet threw some nasty sparks. (it is the wiring setup from this thread:Anyone decipher this bathroom wiring?
She shut off the appliance and dropped it. I flipped off the breaker and pulled the plug.
The top 1/2 of the receptacle (where it was plugged in) is blackened and the box on the plus (transformer?) is very slightly melted right at the prongs.
The GFCI indicator light was ON, but it wasn't tripped (obviously).
Hitting test and reset cycles the light on and off.
I have not plugged anything else in to see what it does or doesn't do, as that seemed like a poor idea at this point.
Faulty appliance? Faulty GFCI? Faulty homeowner? Several/all of the above?
Any thoughts appreciated.