DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Spark . did not trip breaker (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/spark-did-not-trip-breaker-162666/)

slahni 11-08-2012 10:50 PM

Spark . did not trip breaker
 
Took a pair of plyers to reposition a open plug and got a spark... didn't trip the breaker but have lost power in frig and garage and more.. dont know what to do.

sublime2 11-08-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slahni
Took a pair of plyers to reposition a open plug and got a spark... didn't trip the breaker but have lost power in frig and garage and more.. dont know what to do.

1st DO NOT do that again!
Kill the power to the outlet,make SURE power is off to it and then replace the receptacle.

joecaption 11-08-2012 10:58 PM

Most likly a GFI has tripped. Just reset it.

slahni 11-08-2012 11:01 PM

I will trip the breaker off and replace the recepticle and then trip the breaker back on...right? ??

joecaption 11-08-2012 11:05 PM

Is there a GFI? If so it's as simple as pushing a reset button.
http://www.elocalelectricians.com/co...gfi-outlet-576

sublime2 11-08-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slahni
I will trip the breaker off and replace the recepticle and then trip the breaker back on...right? ??

Trip the breaker off,make SURE there is no power at the receptacle, then replace it and turn breaker back on.

slahni 11-09-2012 08:32 PM

Well it didn't work. turned off power and replaced receptacle.. still no power. Checked each line in the Box and all have power to the breakers. How can u have power on the line and not have powe???r ...Cutler Hammer

beenthere 11-18-2012 03:25 PM

Moved to electrical forum.

k_buz 11-18-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slahni (Post 1048496)
Well it didn't work. turned off power and replaced receptacle.. still no power. Checked each line in the Box and all have power to the breakers. How can u have power on the line and not have powe???r ...Cutler Hammer

There could be any number of reasons.

I would first look for a GFI that has been tripped as has already been stated.

parman 11-18-2012 03:30 PM

Find the GFI outlet that is tripped and reset it.

You put a new rec in - Done
You checked your breakers - Done

G F I outlet needs to be reset

ddawg16 11-18-2012 03:54 PM

As a side note.....using my in-laws house as an example.....I can not see any common sense as to how the builders ran GFI's.....the GFI for the garage is in an upstairs bathroom in the middle of the house....

slahni 11-18-2012 04:15 PM

Tried everything then did a breaker test and found that the bottum plug in the kitchen went bad when the spark happened. .. fixed that and we have power. Only the bottum plugs...weird '-)

AllanJ 11-18-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1055368)
As a side note.....using my in-laws house as an example.....I can not see any common sense as to how the builders ran GFI's.....the GFI for the garage is in an upstairs bathroom in the middle of the house....

Receptacles and sometimes switch boxes on the same circuit are daisy chained. It so happened that the first outlet box along the line was the one in the bathroom and they put the ground fault interrupter unit there and then continued the protected circuit from the GFCI load terminals to other outlet boxes including in the garage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slahni (Post 1055391)
Tried everything then did a breaker test and found that the bottum plug in the kitchen went bad when the spark happened. .. fixed that and we have power. Only the bottum plugs...weird '-)

Receptacles and sometimes switch boxes on the same circuit are daisy chained. When you got the spark, it was a marginally loose connection in a different outlet box upstream that gave up the ghost. When incoming power is attached to one screw on the receptacle and power continuing to the next outlet box is attached to the screw right next to it, the tab that joins the screw pads (also joins the top and bottom halves of the duplex receptacle) happened to be where the failure took place. Plugging in and unplugging things at that receptacle may have weakened the tab physically. The tab is meant to be broken off when you want the top and bottom halves to be fed by different circuits,

raylo32 11-18-2012 06:59 PM

To reiterate: find the GFCI!! It can be in an illogical place like in my house. It's in the garage and feeds all the bathrooms on 2 upper floors and outside receptacles. Find yours and reset it. If it won't reset and you are sure that you fixed your problem, then replace the GFCI. They do fail on occassion.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved