DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Spacing of high hats ?

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  iMisspell 
#1 ·
The room will be a bedroom, size 12x16 8' walls, two 3x4' windows on one wall (16' wall) at each corner.
Walls have no color right now (just studded out) and have no idea what the finish color will be.
Floors will be oak, more then likely stained a some what dark shade.

The idea right now is...
- three rows stagger spaced in 4' then 3' from the walls
- five lights per-row 3' from end walls
- ceiling fan/light in middle
- two switchs (one toggle, one dimmer, third switch for fan).

Have the lights split between the two switchs like...
x = toggle
- = dimmer
bed at one end, tv at other end
Code:
  x   x   x

-     x     -

x   o   x

-     x     -

x   x   x
While im here...
How many lights can be on a single breaker (just lights (single bulb), no outlets) ?

Thanks for any help.

_

See less See more
#6 ·
Starting to lay out some stuff right now will post back feed-back and or problems.

(fixture wattage/volts)x80% = amps
Thanks.

Just remember when your placing your lights not to go to close to where the fan will be installed or you will have a strobe effect when the fan is running:thumbup:
Unless a friend said something, dont think that would have ever popped into my head in till it happened. Thanks !

my high hat is under my left foot, bass drum under right......
Southpaw here.
Old jam room... 12x18 barn-shed. Used to be able to get home from work at 12:30am and jam as long as we didn't get too crazy and no one complained (then again, maybe they where scared being it was 12:30 at night, lol).

Attachments

#5 ·
To answer your question about number of lights on a breaker;
I don't think that the NEC states a maximum number of lights, or receptacles on a breaker; just that the wire size must be rated at least what the breaker is.

You should add up the wattages of all the lamps, then divide by 110 (or 115, your line voltage) to figure the current. I wouldn't want to load any breaker by more than 50% on a regular basis, but that's pretty much up to you.

FW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.