SPA Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

SPA Wiring

I recently replaced my disconnect box on the outside of my house for my spa. After doing that, when flipping the breaker on it immediatly trips. If I remove the white nuetral wire from the spa box, i can turn the tub on and it works. Is this supposed to be that way, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Brent

Advertisement

Last edited by bburtrum; 10-23-2008 at 01:56 PM.
bburtrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

SPA Wiring

You have the ground and neutral tied together at the spa box. Is your spa a 240v or is it 120/240?
Remove all the wires and take a picture where the wires are connected to the spa.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbfan; 10-22-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #3

SPA Wiring

It is a 240v system. Where should the white wire go at the SPA box?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

SPA Wiring

If it is 240v then you do not need the white wire, howecer the ground wire needs to ne insulated. Did you strip the outer jacket of a peice of romex?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #5

SPA Wiring

By ground wire do you mean the bare copper wire? If so, that is all one bundle, there was the white, the red, the black, and a bare copper all bundeled together.

If you do not use the white wire does that prevent the GFCI from doing its job?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

SPA Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
If it is 240v then you do not need the white wire, howecer the ground wire needs to ne insulated. Did you strip the outer jacket of a peice of romex?
This is kind of out of code, but he could move the insulated white to the ground bar and mark it green if it's 240V. It does look like stripped NM wire though. Pretty sure it's not THWN. What happened to the bare ground at the spa? If you look at the label under the wires, it has the Ground and two hots marked.
To do this correctly, the whole thing needs to be redone.

Last edited by jerryh3; 10-22-2008 at 09:52 AM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #7

SPA Wiring

I am much more converened with Safety than I am with code. It sounds to me like I could leave the white connected to the ground at the spa box, then move the other end of it from the neutral bar in the disconnect box to the grounding bar in the disconnect box.

The bare copper wire goes to a grounding bar on the outside of the SPA box, it is outside of the pictures view.

Also, can someone give me a link to the type of electrical cable I should be using for this?

Last edited by bburtrum; 10-22-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

SPA Wiring

At the spa box, put the white on one of the unused terminals, one of the two on the right. Connect the ground from the disconnect to the green ground terminal in the spa box. You say you have the ground outside the box, but I see a ground terminal inside on the far left. This is where it goes. The terminal outside the box is most likely for a bonding grid.

If your spa is located on the ground, on pavers or on concrete, it must have a bonding grid installed.
The disconnect must be in view from inside the spa and be readily accessible.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #9

SPA Wiring

Just wanted to let everyone know that I moved the white wire coming from the SPA out of the GFCI breaker and into the grounding bar on the left side of the SPA box in the picture shown. Now everything works great and the GFCI breaker works correctly.

Disclaimer: This is not up to code, but is safe.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #10

SPA Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburtrum View Post
Disclaimer: This is not up to code, but is safe.
This is NOT safe. Why do they have code? To keep people SAFE. People like you shouldn't be doing ANY electrical work!
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #11

SPA Wiring

Quote:
Also, can someone give me a link to the type of electrical cable I should be using for this?
You actually use conduit with thwn wires.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #12

SPA Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
This is NOT safe. Why do they have code? To keep people SAFE. People like you shouldn't be doing ANY electrical work!
lol, what makes it not safe?

I'll also have to disagree with you, most electrical work a educated homeowner can perform. I agree, there are some things that require a licensed electrician, but simple wiring does not.

Last edited by bburtrum; 10-23-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #13

SPA Wiring

Quote:
lol, what makes it not safe?

I'll also have to disagree with you, most electrical work a trained monkey can perform. I agree, there are some things that require a licensed electrician, but simple wiring does not.
If it's so simple, why couldn't you figure out that simple problem? The terminals were clearly marked and you still had it wired wrong.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #14

SPA Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
If it's so simple, why couldn't you figure out that simple problem? The terminals were clearly marked and you still had it wired wrong.
Again, i think i did figure out my problem before coming here, I asked on here for suggestions of what I could do.

Also, don't tell anyone, but my disconnect box is within 5 feet of the tub, it is 4 feet away! According to code, 5 feet is safe, and 4 feet is not. (in Michigan)
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #15

SPA Wiring

Quote:
Again, i think i did figure out my problem before coming here, I asked on here for suggestions of what I could do.

Also, don't tell anyone, but my disconnect box is within 5 feet of the tub, it is 4 feet away! According to code, 5 feet is safe, and 4 feet is not. (in Michigan)

It is a 240v system. Where should the white wire go at the SPA box?

Yes. That really sounds like you had the problem figured out. Good luck in the hot tub.

Advertisement