Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Old Hand

Share |

SPA Controllers/Internet possibliities?

I have a 25 year old in ground spa that is controlled by a pneumatic (air) switch. Settings are:
1. Blower on
2. Bubbles on
3. Blower and Bubbles
4. Off

I want to be able to use an internet signal to turn on the spa and the heater; we travel a lot so it would be great for the spa to be running and heated when we are home.

It seems that if the pneumatic swich is mecanical then I might not have an issue, but I suspect it is solid state.

I am also willing to purchase a new controller if will work with the Internet and turn on both the pump and heater (don't care about the bubbles from a distance).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
iliketowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

So far as the spa wiring is concerned, you are going to need to get a schematic wiring diagram of the switch and fully understand how it is wired and how it functions. Or find a commercial industrial controls electrician who could figure out the operation/wiring and do this for you*.

Then get a gizmo which has at least enough "relay" outputs to switch on what you want from the internet. Try searching for x10 or home automation.

And then your internet device may need an additional power supply and "contactors" to control your spa or you may find one with contacts rated to handle the voltage and load required.

And then would need to run internet to your spa or control wiring to your house where the internet connection is located.

*Industrial controls electricians can be found in factories where they have automated machinery for manufacturing. Basically an electronic technician who also knows how to safely wire higher voltage devices. They wire up contactors, timing devices, and complex relay controls which look like this...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
iliketowork (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

They are out there. More for a whole house solution, that you would control a lot of stuff in the house. Here is one example http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/inte...thermostat.htm

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...param=&rd=pref

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-11-2011 at 10:29 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
Old Hand

Really appreciate this, I will call mfg. tomorrow to see how to put together a system.
iliketowork is offline   Reply With Quote