DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   sorry, but another 3 way switch question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/sorry-but-another-3-way-switch-question-40194/)

SR996 03-12-2009 01:37 PM

sorry, but another 3 way switch question
 
I have spend some time reseraching this on the net, and have found numerous diagrams and possibilities for wiring a 3 way switch. Not among them was my circumstance: I have power (2 wire) going into the first switch, and from the first switch, 2 wire cable out to the lights. I then have a traveler (3 wire cable) to the second switch, which is not yet connected. Most of the diagrams I found have power going into the first switch, a traveler to the second switch, and then out to the light. Can it work in the way I have the wires run?

Thanks is advance.

dSilanskas 03-12-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR996 (Post 243730)
I have spend some time reseraching this on the net, and have found numerous diagrams and possibilities for wiring a 3 way switch. Not among them was my circumstance: I have power (2 wire) going into the first switch, and from the first switch, 2 wire cable out to the lights. I then have a traveler (3 wire cable) to the second switch, which is not yet connected. Most of the diagrams I found have power going into the first switch, a traveler to the second switch, and then out to the light. Can it work in the way I have the wires run?

Thanks is advance.

Follow these steps

Step 1. Yes its simple. The black from the power attach to the common of the 3 way switch in that box.

Step 2. The white wire from the power splice with the wite wires from the lights.

Step 3. The black wire from the lights splice with the black wire of the 14/3 going to the other switch.

Step 4. The red and white of the 14/3 will be your travelers.

Step 5. On the other switch you will have your red and white travelers and black your common. Simple as pie :thumbsup:

SR996 03-12-2009 02:54 PM

Awesome - thank you. Sounds simple enough until I get to the basement and see all those wires. I'll report back.

Again - thanks.

dSilanskas 03-12-2009 03:06 PM

ok sounds good

joed 03-12-2009 03:51 PM

Here's a picture for you.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/image...h/3waysame.jpg

dSilanskas 03-12-2009 03:59 PM

Did your 3 year old draw that pic :laughing:

joed 03-12-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dSilanskas (Post 243805)
Did your 3 year old draw that pic :laughing:

I borrowed it from another site. Do you have a problem with it?

daxinarian 03-12-2009 05:08 PM

don't forget to re-id the white wire as hot (wrap it with black e-tape near the striped ends)

dSilanskas 03-12-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daxinarian (Post 243825)
don't forget to re-id the white wire as hot (wrap it with black e-tape near the striped ends)

Not all states require you to re-id the white but I agree it is a good idea

SR996 03-13-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dSilanskas (Post 243770)
Follow these steps

Step 1. Yes its simple. ...... Simple as pie :thumbsup:


Just like you wrote - worked like a charm. I am so proud of myself, I think I deserve a beverage. Thank you.

dSilanskas 03-13-2009 09:34 PM

Your most welcime and congrats :thumbsup:

SR996 03-17-2009 12:26 PM

Now 4 way switch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dSilanskas (Post 244305)
Your most welcime and congrats :thumbsup:

Building on my previous success with your advice, I have one final wiring challenge. I am adding a third switch to an exisitng 3 way circuit.

Power goes into the first box (2 wire), with a traveler (3 wire) to the second box, the lights are wired from the second box (2 wire). I installed a traveler (3 wire) from the FIRST Box to a THIRD Box.

Your help is very much appreciated.

vann 03-17-2009 01:28 PM

Sorry, you need four wires to your new third switch.
Here's the plan: The new switch will need to be a four way switch. It has four screw connections.
It basicly has to be wired in between the black and red (or whatever colors) that currently travel between your existing two switchs.
So in box 1 dissconnect the wires going to box 2, then connect 2 wires going to new box.

Connect these 2 wires to 2 of the screws on either side (but both on same side) of the of 4way new switch.

Then connect 2 wires to other side of the new 4way switch, then back box 1, and connect to the 2 wires going to box 2.

Thats it. If someone can put up a diagram it will be easy to understand. Good Luck.

SR996 03-17-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vann (Post 245837)
Sorry, you need four wires to your new third switch.
Here's the plan: The new switch will need to be a four way switch. It has four screw connections.
It basicly has to be wired in between the black and red (or whatever colors) that currently travel between your existing two switchs.
So in box 1 dissconnect the wires going to box 2, then connect 2 wires going to new box.

Connect these 2 wires to 2 of the screws on either side (but both on same side) of the of 4way new switch.

Then connect 2 wires to other side of the new 4way switch, then back box 1, and connect to the 2 wires going to box 2.

Thats it. If someone can put up a diagram it will be easy to understand. Good Luck.


hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:censored:Okay. If I have to run another wire, I would prefer to run it from the first to the third box, as the second box would entail cutting drywall. Will this work?

dSilanskas 03-17-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR996 (Post 245813)
Building on my previous success with your advice, I have one final wiring challenge. I am adding a third switch to an exisitng 3 way circuit.

Power goes into the first box (2 wire), with a traveler (3 wire) to the second box, the lights are wired from the second box (2 wire). I installed a traveler (3 wire) from the FIRST Box to a THIRD Box.

Your help is very much appreciated.

DONT RUN ANOTHER WIRE ITS NOT NEEDED!

Its simple do it this way you will need a four way switch.

Step 1 - The 3 way switch in the first box your going to remove
Step 2 - The black from the feed splice with the black from the new 14/3
Step 3 - This is where you need the 4 way. Your going to install it in the first box where I had you remove the 3 way. The red and white from the new 14/3 will now become travalers. Attach them to one side of the 4 way. The travelers that where attached to the 3 way you removed put them on the other side of the four way.
Step 4 - The new 3 way will have black as your common and red and white as your tavalers.

You will notice on the 4 way that the travalers might be different colors dont worry about that it doesn't matter. Just follow the steps and if you need anymore help just ask :-) :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.