Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #1

Share |

Somebody please help, FAN with remote problem

I have used this fan for 5 years with no problem. Its a Hampton bay Fan with a remote control and NO Chains for the fan...controlled by Remote ONLY. The fan has a BLACK wire, WHITE wire, and GREEN wire. There is NO blue wire at all attached to fan. My ceiling has a Black, white, Red, and Ground wire. I attached the black to black, white to white, and green to ground. The RED wire is capped and unused.
I turn on the switch from the wall..EVERYTHING works..the light, the fan, and the controller can shut the fan off and change the speeds..BUT the Remote WILL NOT shut the Light off. This has me baffled and confused. I can have the light on and shut the fan off from the remote, but when I go to sleep at night, I CANNOT have the fan operating and shut the light off from the remote. So I have to pull out the light bulbs to have the fan operating in the dark. Can somebody please tell me what I need to do or whats going on?? Thank you very much -Tony-
t_pilato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Check to make sure that the codes inside the remote and the fan are the same, replace the battery inside the remote.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Seems that if the remote will operate the fan and change the speeds, the battery is OK and the code switches are set correctly. Sounds like the issue is the receiver in the fan. Since you have a capped red wire in the ceiling box, you should have a switch (or could add one) that is intended to operate the light. Rewire the fan to connect the light to the red wire and use a separate switch for the light. If the remote/receiver is integrated into the fan (as opposed to an add-on kit), you may have do some rewiring in the fan.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #4

How do I rewire the Fan? If I take the fan apart where the BLACK AND WHITE wires are coming out, is there another connection that I can install another wire for the light? And if this fan was working properly at my other house...How was the wiring any different...I installed the fan 5 years ago at my other house..the fan still had its BLACK WHITE AND GREEN wires...how did I possibly wire the fan to the ceiling at my other house where it worked and this doesn't at this house? I just can't figure it out. And if I was to install another wire into the fan for the light...is there a specific wire and also, would that wire I install connect to the free RED wire I have in the ceiling?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_pilato View Post
How do I rewire the Fan? If I take the fan apart where the BLACK AND WHITE wires are coming out, is there another connection that I can install another wire for the light? And if this fan was working properly at my other house...How was the wiring any different...I installed the fan 5 years ago at my other house..the fan still had its BLACK WHITE AND GREEN wires...how did I possibly wire the fan to the ceiling at my other house where it worked and this doesn't at this house? I just can't figure it out. And if I was to install another wire into the fan for the light...is there a specific wire and also, would that wire I install connect to the free RED wire I have in the ceiling?
The receiver could have gone bad after you removed from old house and installed in new house.

To rewire you need to run a new wire from the fan shrould (where the existing black and white are) down thru the motor to the light kit housing. Usually this wire is 16 ga. stranded wire. Use any color other than white or green (probability blue would be best; use 14 ga if you can't get 16ga). Connect this wire to the black wire or wires going to the light sockets.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Tony,
I put two of those fans in my kids rooms a few years ago. Same thing happened, one of the remotes stopped working. After switching batteries, coding up the other remote and finding the fan worked ok with it, it was determined that the remote itself was bad. If you google the problem, you'll find a lot of people had the same problem. Lowes had a new remote that matched ours, so I got it. I never noticed that the fan didn't have any chains on it when I bought it, or I wouldn't have bought it. New remotes are about $24. You might want to check the sales prices on fans now since they will be marking them down. For not too much more, you can get a new fan.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

THANK YOU for all your help from ALL of you...I will try a new battery in the remote first, than if that doesn't work, I'll try and find a NEW remote, if that doesn't work..Ill take it back and try the wiring process. I LOVE the fan and I spent way too much on it to just buy a new one and get rid of this one but If I have to than that will be my last option. I will try these options and if I need any further assistance, Ill post another question..THANK YOU again!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The receiver could have gone bad after you removed from old house and installed in new house.

To rewire you need to run a new wire from the fan shrould (where the existing black and white are) down thru the motor to the light kit housing. Usually this wire is 16 ga. stranded wire. Use any color other than white or green (probability blue would be best; use 14 ga if you can't get 16ga). Connect this wire to the black wire or wires going to the light sockets.
I didnt understand the last part of your message (Connect this wire to the black wire or wires going to the light sockets). I took apart the unit and noticed inside a cluster of wires of reds and whites...there is also a small Blue wire&Black Wire Jointed together with a clear cap. So after i put the fan back together, are you saying there should be a BLUE wire that you told me to Add, along with the original Black and White wires? If so...this additional wire your telling me to add, where do I connect it to the fan in the whole cluster of wires im looking at inside the fan AND when I put the fan back together and there is a BLUE, BLACK, and WHITE wire showing, where do I connect all these wires to the ceiling? would the BLUE be jointed with the BLACK wire to the Ceiling BLACK wire?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_pilato View Post
I didnt understand the last part of your message (Connect this wire to the black wire or wires going to the light sockets). I took apart the unit and noticed inside a cluster of wires of reds and whites...there is also a small Blue wire&Black Wire Jointed together with a clear cap. So after i put the fan back together, are you saying there should be a BLUE wire that you told me to Add, along with the original Black and White wires? If so...this additional wire your telling me to add, where do I connect it to the fan in the whole cluster of wires im looking at inside the fan AND when I put the fan back together and there is a BLUE, BLACK, and WHITE wire showing, where do I connect all these wires to the ceiling? would the BLUE be jointed with the BLACK wire to the Ceiling BLACK wire?
ALSO...Do I need to remove any wires from inside the fan before adding any NEW wires, like the BLUE wire your telling me to add?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #10

Where my fingers are in the picture, holding the Black and White wire...those are the ONLY 2 wires showing outside when installing the fan. Inside the fan, you will see a cluster of White and red wires...and the small BLUE&BLACK wire jointed together with a clear cap. HOPE THIS PICTURE HELPS! Thank you. http://mail.aol.com/32360-111/aol-6/...veAs=Image.jpg
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

You have to find another way to post your picture as the link you give is only available to an AOL user.

The new blue wire must connect to the wires going to the light sockets, usually these wires are black but the could be red. You need to trace the colored wires going to the light sockets and connect you new blue wire to them. The white wires to the sockets are OK and do not need to be changed. The new blue wire at the top of the fan needs to connect to the red wire in the ceiling junction box. At the switch box, the red wire must be connected to a its own separate switch, if it does not exist you need to add one.

If you think this is getting over your head you need to find someone with more experience to help you.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
I=E/R

Before you start tearing this apart, remember this fan worked until you moved it. The remote and the controller are what runs the fan and light. You need power to the controller, that's it. Everything else is done with the remote.
When you completed the original installation, did you save the directions? Every time I install something, the directions go in a box that has all the instructions for everything I install.
Before you moved it, did you make a diagram of the way it was connected?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Before you start tearing this apart, remember this fan worked until you moved it. The remote and the controller are what runs the fan and light. You need power to the controller, that's it. Everything else is done with the remote.
When you completed the original installation, did you save the directions? Every time I install something, the directions go in a box that has all the instructions for everything I install.
Before you moved it, did you make a diagram of the way it was connected?
Unfortunately I didnt save the directions or box. I didnt make a diagram eiher because I have installed over 20 fans in all my houses and never had an issue...it's pretty simple. I bought a new battery for the remote and still didnt work, I have come to the realization that there must be a short in the receiver somewhere, and that seems to be outside my hands. I see these wire clusters inside the unit and don't even know where to start. So one thing I would like to know is...if I buy a new remote and receiver, do I have to rewire the whole fan to the new receiver?? Or can I just do the black and white wires that are showing from the fan to the new receiver and the receiver to the ceiling?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Seems that if the remote will operate the fan and change the speeds, the battery is OK and the code switches are set correctly. Sounds like the issue is the receiver in the fan. Since you have a capped red wire in the ceiling box, you should have a switch (or could add one) that is intended to operate the light. Rewire the fan to connect the light to the red wire and use a separate switch for the light. If the remote/receiver is integrated into the fan (as opposed to an add-on kit), you may have do some rewiring in the fan.
How would I go about doing this? (Rewire the fan to connect the light to the red wire and use a separate switch for the light). And to also let you know, the remote/receiver is integrated into the fan, it is not a seperate add on kit. Now...If I was to get an add on kit to overide this whole issue, do i have to rewire the add on kit to the fan itself..or just to the black and white wires and than to the ceiling?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

If by "Add on kit" you mean a universal remote control, not that will not work. You existing fan has a integrated remote and the fan and lamp and motor leads are not wired out individually The universal remotes require that you connect to both the motor lead (black) and the lamp lead (blue) in addition to the white. You would still need to wire the blue lamp lead up to the top of the fan to connect to a new receiver.