Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #1

Share |
Some Questions

Hi, I have a 100 year old house, has been updated and added onto so many times it took us 3 months to figure out where the original house was. Now that we found it we are restoring it back to some of its original ways. But modern at thesame time. My electrical question will be off and hope you all can help.

We have to update electrical section by section as the house needs to remain livable while we are working. for now our breaker box will be used. But it is on a section of the house that will be torn down. So i have to run new wire through this section to the section we are upgrading. Easy there can do it. BUT we need to make it able to be changed in the future. so here is what i thought and my questions.

I want to make a board in the attic connected to the roof rafters and attic ceiling joists. basically 2x4's on each side of a 3/4 inch plywood cheet. And place what i believe is known as "receptical Drop Boxes" ( Junction boxes ) on this standing platform. it would be around 5 junction boxes.

I was going to feed the wires then down to the joists in the attic, run them across the top of th joist and to the wall caps where they will drop into the walls to feed the first receptical of each circuit.

Some of the receptical drop boxes would feed lights on their own circuit.

From what i have read on this forum it sounds like i would need to place 2x4 near the wires runing over the hjoists within something like 7 feet of the attic acess door which is just a door near the roof on the outside. No permanant ladder for access.

After the main lines are fed into wall for power to first recepticale, the rest in that room or area will be wall fed. Since we are opening walls and restoring the 10 foot ceilings and puting in insulation.

If your wondering why i want the " Junction box platform". Im replacing knob and post, and some conduit and some 3 wire. in the main house, which has to run through the area we are eventually going to tear down. thenn run a whole new way to the two story addition we will be adding.

Oh and to top it off.... it has 2x6 walls wich 1 X 6 tongue and grove slats on the inside and 1 X12 ship board on the outside.

Any way, thanks for whatever help you can give. House is in oregon so must follow that code as close as possible.

Deric

Derickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Some Questions

So what is the specific question ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

Some Questions

I want to make a board in the attic connected to the roof rafters and attic ceiling joists. basically 2x4's on each side of a 3/4 inch plywood sheet. And place what i believe is known as "receptical Drop Boxes" ( Junction boxes ) on this standing platform. it would be around 5 junction boxes.

Am I allowed to do this and is it allowed to run the new wires over joist in attic as long as they are protected near the access point
Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #4

Some Questions

Adding junction boxes is fine
So long as they remain accessible
Running over joists is fine
I try to run them away from anywhere you may want to walk
In some cases an Inspector may want the wires protected if they run along a walkway/path to equipment in the attic

Do you have a pic if the area ?
That might help - just in case
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Learning by Doing

Some Questions

Don't cut any K&T unless you are 100% certain of what it does. I'm rewiring 120 years worth of electrical work and my K&T is in a ladder arrangement, so I can't cut anything until everything is rewired.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #6

Some Questions

Not planning on cutting the k&t for a bit. Lucky once I re run bed rooms and front room that is the majority of the old stuff.

I have already had to play the trace back game once for bathroom. It was a birds nest of old knob and tube to new 3 wire... and on a circuit with kitchen and a bed room what a mess

Tags
electrical, joists, junction box, wiring