Some Outlets Are Reading "open Ground" - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Some outlets are reading "open ground"

When I used the circuit tester to check my house's circuit, it reads on a couple of the outlets "open ground." There is no third wire ground on the wiring. Only a hot and a neutral. What does that mean and how do I go about fixing that?

But all the others in the house are okay and read correct. The house was built in the 1950s. About 10 years ago, I had the fuse box upgraded to a circuit breaker box. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by proofer; 06-08-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: I added a bit more information.
proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

This means that the ground wire isn't attached. In a case where there's no ground wire, these receptacles should be replaced with a gfci receptacle or be fed from one. It should then be marked "no equipment ground" and if fed from a GFCI should also be marked "gfci protected".
Please don't do this
http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/uploads/bain/200866155457_DSC00111a.JPG

Advertisement

Last edited by wirenut1110; 06-08-2008 at 12:21 PM.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Yeesh. That's scary.

Here's another thing to consider. If these receptacles are in steel boxes that are fed with either emt or BX cable, we could be looking at a poor/loose connection between the cable armor/conduit and the box connector. With conduit, I've seen instances where a loose locknut could be enough to break the bond (and once the plaster ring is on, they can be a bee-ahtch to get at with a tool).