Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Some outlets not working

Hello! First post here. Any help provided is greatly appreciated.

Short gist: 15 amp circuit for all bathroom outlets as well as 3 outside outlets. The powder room outlet (on the main floor) was working. The upstairs bathroom outlets were indicating an open neutral, and the outside outlets were showing all three lights (not sure what that means) on a 7 dollar circuit checker from Ace. Anywho...i found a loose backstabbed neutral (it was burned too) in the powder room and fixed it. So now all the bathroom outlets in the house works, but now the outside outlets have no power going to them.

The outside outlets only have 1 hot and 1 neutral while the powder room has 2 hot and 2 neutral. Could I possibly mixed up the wires?

Sorry if this is confusing...I don't know much about this stuff but I find it interesting. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EightCounts; 10-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.
EightCounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Some outlets not working

Are they connected to a gfci receptacle?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Some outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Are they connected to a gfci receptacle?
There is one gfci receptacle and that is in the basement bathroom. That one is working as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #4

Some outlets not working

Sounds like they're daisy chaining off one another, in series. So you might have a bad GFCI in the powder room. Probably the last outlet in the chain (my guess would be the powder room) is a bad pass through. Try replacing that, it wasn't clear what you mean by "fixed it". If by "fixed it" you mean you just plugged the wire back in, the outlet could provide power and still could be bad. If that doesn't fix it, take the new good GFCI and keep swapping it out until you see where it goes outside. My parents had a similar situation a few years ago, turned out it was a bad GFCI in series.
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Some outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaris View Post
Sounds like they're daisy chaining off one another, in series. So you might have a bad GFCI in the powder room. Probably the last outlet in the chain (my guess would be the powder room) is a bad pass through. Try replacing that, it wasn't clear what you mean by "fixed it". If by "fixed it" you mean you just plugged the wire back in, the outlet could provide power and still could be bad. If that doesn't fix it, take the new good GFCI and keep swapping it out until you see where it goes outside. My parents had a similar situation a few years ago, turned out it was a bad GFCI in series.
Thanks. To clarify, I fixed it by replacing the outlet and actually using the screws on the side to connect the wires instead of backstabbing them.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

Some outlets not working

What I would do, is turn power to the circuit off. Then pull all the outside outlets off (unless you know where the next jump from the powder room is), and cap them off. Turn power back on, and use an inductive sensing pen ($20 at home depot) to see where you get power to next. My bet is that the GFCI next on the chain to the powder room probably burnt also.

Powder room ----- GFCI 1 ---- GFCI 2 ---- GFCI 3

So if you leave Powder room connected, you should have power to one of them, even if your plug in sensor doesn't see it a the plug, the wires SHOULD have power to one of them... just make sure to cap off the wires while they're hanging loose so nobody accidently touches them.

I'll put this out there I am NOT an electrician, these are just my opinions and not meant as a substitute for a licensed electrician.

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ocelaris For This Useful Post:
EightCounts (10-23-2012)