Solar Panel Kit For Storage Shed - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Solar panel kit for storage shed

I was telling my wife about my plan to pull power from the house to the storage shed. She asked why I needed power out there, and I said I needed some lighting inside the shed and a battery maintainer for the lawn mower, and she said "why not just get a solar kit?"

She likes the idea because it's green energy and I'm intrigued because it sounds sort of neat.

Considering that the primary power need in this building is to top off a 12v battery, and some lighting for when I go out there at night, a 12v system sounds like it might be a reasonable solution.

I figure that I need a storage system for the panel. Would a large car battery work? I realize that a solar system won't sustain a large load, but would it be able to keep riding mower battery maintained and be able to power the occasion 12v LED light?

If the cost of running 120v out to the shed (about 80-90 foot run) will be similar to a solar panel kit that would do what I need, I think the solar would be "cool" (and keep me from digging up my yard which I am so proud of).

Thoughts?

Advertisement

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

You don't need much power for the mower battery. A small panel from a big box store and a charge controller should do it, but you will need a deep cycle battery. You will destroy a car battery in no time.

Advertisement

ptarmigan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Harbor freight might just have the kit you need for this. Not sure of the quality though. Just pick up some led 12v lights from a auto store for the light in the shed
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote