Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Rosey

Share |
Cool

solar cells

I am going to build a solar charger for my golf cart. I am new to solar building and uses. Can a for example, a car solar charger that is used on a 12 volt system be used to work on a 36 volt system.

Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #2

solar cells

3 wired in series will provide 36 volts, I can't answer though if the solar cell charger wiring will handle the current in series.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #3

solar cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
I am going to build a solar charger for my golf cart. I am new to solar building and uses. Can a for example, a car solar charger that is used on a 12 volt system be used to work on a 36 volt system.
For a 12v, 30Ah golf cart battery you need to input about 50Ah to recharge.
At 10A max this would take 5 hrs.
10A @ 36v = 360w.
You'd need a solar panel of ~4 square meters in area.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Rosey

solar cells

Thanks I will give it a shot.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #5

solar cells

You'll also need a complex electronic interface to mate the solar cell output power and voltage to a lead-acid battery input charging voltage. Solar cells and batteries are finicky devices.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #6

Thumbs up

solar cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
You'll also need a complex electronic interface to mate the solar cell output power and voltage to a lead-acid battery input charging voltage. Solar cells and batteries are finicky devices.
Lucky the OP hails from Arizona. Were they from (State of) Washington, or London, UK, I wouldn't advise relying on Solar panels for any useable electric charge! (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Rosey

Thumbs up

solar cells

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #8

solar cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
Lucky the OP hails from Arizona. Were they from (State of) Washington, or London, UK, I wouldn't advise relying on Solar panels for any useable electric charge! (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
The Solar Constant is 1 kw/sq. meter, a measurement of power.
Arizona has this for longer times than other places which means you can get more energy per day than in other places.
The problem is the storage of that energy.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #9

Thumbs up

solar cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
The Solar Constant is 1 kw/sq. meter, a measurement of power.
Arizona has this for longer times than other places which means you can get more energy per day than in other places.
The problem is the storage of that energy.
I (and other subscribers to this Blog) would love to hear your opinion about the possibility and practical application of harnessing the awesome power of lightning to provide electricity for residential and industrial use. Eliminate confusion Through Education; Don't Drink and drive, ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #10

solar cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
I (and other subscribers to this Blog) would love to hear your opinion about the possibility and practical application of harnessing the awesome power of lightning to provide electricity for residential and industrial use. Eliminate confusion Through Education; Don't Drink and drive, ever!!!
The problem is storing the energy.
I guess one answer to this would be an enormous, perhaps semiconductive, chunk of solid or liquid substance that heats up with each new strike.
It would need to attract the bolts, too.

Each resi. needs 3^10 joules/yr and there are 10^10 joules in each strike. So if you could totally absorb the energy in one strike you could power your house for three years, unless I made a math error.

If you live next door to me, Mr. Plug, and you build this thing, I am going to move.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 10-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #11

solar cells

To attract a strike, you need to build up static electricity in whatever is going to take the strike. Fortunately that's not too difficult, wind blowing over objects (like antenna, trees) causes static build up increasing the chances that object will be stricken. That's why antenna on roofs with wind blowing over them must be grounded while attic antenna don't. Normally, as with antenna you have to ground it so any static electricity build-up from wind is harmlessly discharged to ground in the hopes your antenna has less build-up than say your neighbors tree and that tree will be struck instead, you want to do the opposite you want to intentionally have it build up more than the surrounding objects.

So, you need some collector thing in the wind to build up static electricity, likely with many fingers (put a bunch of old TV antenna's people are throwing away as your collector). Make sure it's not grounded properly but big enough to store some serious static electricity, and with a bit of luck (hopefully you build up more static electricity than the tree across the way) and you may get yourself a lightning strike and it will almost certainly blow out your collector so it's like a 1 shot deal per storm. Or, you or someone else will inadvertently approach this collector thing that's collected some serious static electricity cause the wind's been blowing lately (storm or sun) and may need a hospital stay... hopefully nothing worse

Last edited by Piedmont; 10-09-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote