Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

socket controlled by light switch

I recently installed a ceiling fan where an old, ugly square recessed light was originally.We didn't want a fan with light kit. I want to have some outlets controlled by light switch so i can turn lamps off and on at switch when entering/leaving the room. There are dual switches, one used to control the ceiling light that now powers the fan. The other switch doesn't do anything. Former owners have changed out all the sockets in this room because they are a different color than the rest of the house sockets. One other bedroom has light switch controlled outlets. How do i change what i've got. Break tabs in every outlet in the room?

bc all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,938

Check the new receptacles. There are probably some or maybe only one that was only half switched. If they did not break the tab between the hot(gold) screws then the switch would not function. Find the half switched receptacles and break the tabs.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc all View Post
I want to have some outlets controlled by light switch so i can turn lamps off and on at switch when entering/leaving the room.... How do i change what i've got. Break tabs in every outlet in the room?
Heres a diagram I made for someone else. In it is are two 3-way switches and 3 receptacles. The top part of each receptacle is ALWAYS hot and the bottom part of each receptacle is SWITCHED.
Attached Thumbnails
socket controlled by light switch-copy-3-way-3-recepts-top-always-hot-bottom-cont-switch.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,070

Heres a simpler diagram where one single pole switch controls the bottom of the re4ceptacle and the top part is ALWAYS HOT
Attached Thumbnails
socket controlled by light switch-gdrdftytydfty.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote