Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Smoke detector wiring?

Hi, I just purchased my new home and went to install a new wireless smoke detector and found that the one installed (probably from 1975) is wired into something. Can I just pull the wires out? Any dangers here? I can't tell what it is wired into so I would then be leaving some open wires (I think).

Any ideas on how to go about doing this? or should I call an electrician?

Thank you!

km2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Smoke detector wiring?

Have you checked to see if this is the only alarm in the house? If it is the only one I would still install a combination AC with battery backup alarm. If you have more than one they should all be changed to the same brand.

Smoke alarms have a reccomended replacement lifespan of 10 years.

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Smoke detector wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by km2009 View Post
Hi, I just purchased my new home and went to install a new wireless smoke detector and found that the one installed (probably from 1975) is wired into something. Can I just pull the wires out? Any dangers here? I can't tell what it is wired into so I would then be leaving some open wires (I think).

Any ideas on how to go about doing this? or should I call an electrician?

Thank you!
It's been several/many years since smoke detectors were required to be connected to the house electrical system. It depended on the AHJ. You purchased a smoke detector that is designed for house that does not have hard wired detectors. Read the instructions on the one you bought. Take the one you bought back to the store and get one than operates on 120 volts. You could use the one you bought somewhere else in the house if you want.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #4

Smoke detector wiring?

I wired this house & my last house for all hard wired smoke detectors
As JV said, do not remove
Verify what other smoke detectors you have in the house
Here at a bare min one smoke & one CO detector is required on each floor
I also have one in each room that is or could be a bedroom

I bought 3 of the combination CO/Smokes - 1 for each floor
I bought all the same brands so that they work together
Mine actually talk - they will say - "FIRE" or "CO detected" - or something like that

The wire is 120v - live power unless you shut a breaker off
If you are not comfortable with working with electricity then call an electrician
If you have black, white & ground then most likely a stand alone single unit
If there is a red wire in there too then you most likely have other smokes connected
They all signal eacxh other & go off to warn everyone in the house of a fire/smoke/issue
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

Smoke detector wiring?

I just installed wireless smoke detectors during a major remodel of the house.

Be sure to see what code requires in your area - AC or battery power, communicated or not, and locations. And let's not to mix hardwired to AC power vs battery powered, and communicated detectors via wireless or wires. With communicated detectors - when one alarms it communicates to the others and they alarm as well.

Per my inspector - one required in the hallway near the bedrooms, had to be hardwired to AC power with battery backup, and it's communication to other detectors could be wired or wireless. Others were required in each bedroom and could be wired to AC and have their communications via wire or they could be battery powered and wireless.

I installed one in the hallway wired to AC with battery backup and wirelessly communicated to battery powered / wireless units in each bedroom. My previous setup was only one wired detector in the hallway. So wireless communication allowed resuse of my existing wiring and saved me any rewiring or additional wiring.

Last edited by vsheetz; 08-15-2009 at 08:47 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrician, smoke detector, wiring