Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Smoke Detector Wiring

I have two smoke detectors in the basement that do not have power going to them. They are hardwired (with battery backup) and are interconnected, per code. Any ideas?

How much would a licensed electrician charge to troubleshoot this?

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Eibwen

Smoke Detector Wiring

Sounds like there is a wire disconnected somewhere for the feed.

I cant believe that someone would inter connect and then not power them up.

Hard to say what it would cost..

Hour or two labor and a serivce call?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Electrician philosopher

Smoke Detector Wiring

What year was the house built and did they ever work... If it is a two month old house and they never worked, then I sure could believe the homerun was left out. More info please.

$225 gets your smokes on in most cases in my world.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

Smoke Detector Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
What year was the house built and did they ever work... If it is a two month old house and they never worked, then I sure could believe the homerun was left out. More info please.

$225 gets your smokes on in most cases in my world.

House was built in 1998. I just moved in recently. Basement was finished in 2005, but I think they added these two smoke detectors during the finish. Most unfinished basements only have one smoke detector. There are 3 now, with two not working.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

Smoke Detector Wiring

Just how handy are you Handy man??? Got a meter? Start pullin the smokes down and checking for voltage. Does the "original " smoke still work.? If when you pull the smokies down and you have anything different than two 14/3's entering each of them, post back and we'll figure it out. There is a similiar thread on right now...read it (discounting my poor attempts at humour)
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #6

Smoke Detector Wiring

Quote:
Just how handy are you Handy man??? Got a meter? Start pullin the smokes down and checking for voltage. Does the "original " smoke still work.? If when you pull the smokies down and you have anything different than two 14/3's entering each of them, post back and we'll figure it out. There is a similiar thread on right now...read it (discounting my poor attempts at humour)
Exactly what I'm doing now. I was at work when I posted the question.

Original smoke (at least I think it is) is working. Switched smokes, and it seems that the smokes are okay, wiring is issue.

For the original smoke receptacle, took it off, and as expected, a lot of the wiring was covered with paint, so can't see what is going on until I rub some of it off.

3 wire nuts. One all black, one yellow with red, and the 3rd one is all white.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #7

Smoke Detector Wiring

Quote:
I pulled down what I think is the original smoke in the basement. Inside the receptacle, there are two 14-2's that are connected with one 14-3. There is also one 14-3 that is not connected.

I think the connected 14-3 is coming from the 1st floor and the unconnected 14-3 is for the two unpowered smokes. I will find out.

My question is why there are two connected 14-2's in the original receptacle? Is this for redundancy in case one breaker trips in order to keep the smokes going?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Electrician

Smoke Detector Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post

My question is why there are two connected 14-2's in the original receptacle? Is this for redundancy in case one breaker trips in order to keep the smokes going?
No, it's power in and power out... as far as the 14-3 not hooked up, I would ring it out before applying power to it... just to make sure it goes where you think it goes...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #9

Smoke Detector Wiring

Good news. I hooked up the 14-3 and it did power up the remaining two smoke detectors. For whatever reason, the electrician before my time never bothered.