Smoke Detector Location - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via AIM to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich

Smoke Detector Location

Renovating a 160 year old home and updating all the electrical so required to add interconnected/hardwired/battery backup smoke detectors. Code says I need smoke in each bedroom and outside sleeping area. For the floorplan below I know I would need one in each of the 4 bedrooms. Would I need one on each stair landing and the sitting room or would just the main landing suffice? The ceiling height is 11 ft. (if it plays into this at all). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke Detector Location-2nd_floor.jpg  

Advertisement

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Smoke Detector Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Renovating a 160 year old home and updating all the electrical so required to add interconnected/hardwired/battery backup smoke detectors. Code says I need smoke in each bedroom and outside sleeping area. For the floorplan below I know I would need one in each of the 4 bedrooms. Would I need one on each stair landing and the sitting room or would just the main landing suffice? The ceiling height is 11 ft. (if it plays into this at all). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Every bedroom, within 15' outside the bedrooms, every level of the house, including a basement if applicable. Try to avoid smokes too near the kitchen.
In your case, both upper landings because they are divided by doors and probably the lower landings as well. Not needed in sitting room, although it would not hurt since there is a fireplace. We are required to place them at least 3' from any return air registers.

Advertisement

Last edited by brric; 03-28-2013 at 11:28 AM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
Rich (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Smoke Detector Location

You don't need CO detectors? I had to install CO's outside any combustion source....in the case of the hallway for 2 of the bedrooms...I used a combination CO/smoke.

Make sure you follow the instructions on placement....don't get them too close to the wall.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Smoke Detector Location

Wireless not an option in your area? I installed them when doing whole-house remodel a few years ago. Work great. Also allows to easily have one in my detached workshop building.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Smoke Detector Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You don't need CO detectors? I had to install CO's outside any combustion source....in the case of the hallway for 2 of the bedrooms...I used a combination CO/smoke.

Make sure you follow the instructions on placement....don't get them too close to the wall.

Per 2009 IRC the one in the Hallway(s) would be combo units. Mainly trying to figure how many boxes I need to wire in. So as brric recommended one in each hallway do they both need to be combo units?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Smoke Detector Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Wireless not an option in your area? I installed them when doing whole-house remodel a few years ago. Work great. Also allows to easily have one in my detached workshop building.
Per the code if the renovation/remodel is opening ceilings/walls etc so that wiring is accessible they need to be hardwired/interconnected. I actually am moving a monitored wireless interconnected system from our previous home so the hardwireds are only being installed for purposes of inspection.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Smoke Detector Location

I think you only need the CO's where there is a source of combustion in the same general area/floor.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Smoke Detector Location

Around here it is inside of every bedroom (new construction, or a major renovation of the existing residence), and within 10 feet of the entrance to any sleeping area, as well as a CO on every habitable level of the residence. Also we are now required to use combination photoelectric/ionization types in every required location except within 20 feet of the entrance to a kitchen or a bathroom with a shower. For those locations a photoelectric only type is required.
I think you will need to check your local authority having jurisdiction and find out exactly what is required in your area.

Advertisement

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote