Smoke Detector In Kitchen Remodel - Required By Code? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Smoke detector in kitchen remodel - required by code?

Is a hardwired smoke detector in a kitchen renovation technically required by code? I have an inspector coming over tomorrow for elec inspection, and I planned on telling him we would have a battery operated one attached to the ceiling once it is installed. Will that suffice? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Smoke detectors are usually not required nor are they advisable in kitchens. Too many false alarms from cooking, etc.

Advertisement

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,904

Your inspector may require that the smoke alarms in the house be upgraded to today's requirements.

A battery operated one would not meet the interconnect requirement unless it was a slave to a wireless master unit.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Kitchens are typically not required to have smoke alarms. When I did whole house remodel year before last I had one AC powered alarm in the hallway near the bedrooms. I was required to add an alarm in each bedroom. I installed a AC powered wired/wireless master in the existing hallway location - then battery powered wirelessly communicated alarms in each bedroom.

Optionally I installed additional battery powered wirelessly communicated alarms in a room-finished converted garage / hobby room as well as a detached workshop building.

YMMV - as requirements and allowed types of alarms may vary in your perticular area.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I will be doing the living room and dining room next, including ceiling replacement, so perhaps I can install a hardwired model in a hallway and then have wireless models communicating with that one elsewhere (bedrooms, office, etc)?
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

When doing my remodel, the alarms were not a part of the electrical inspection - rather a part of the final inspection. I asked the inspector during the electrical what was required for final - he identified the alarm upgrade need and we discussed allowable options.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

I did a project which included hardwired smoke detectors throughout the house and rewiring the kitchen among other things. I wanted a smoke detector in the kitchen. The work has been in use since January.

Code does not require a smoke detector in the kitchen. Our house has 2 stories, code requires smoke detectors in bedrooms and hallways outside bedrooms, so we installed 1 in each of the 2 upstairs bedrooms, 1 at the upstairs landing of the stairs. On the first floor we have 1 bedroom, we installed 1 smoke detector in the bedroom and one just outside the bedroom. At this point we had met all code requirements.

Just outside the bedroom is a small dining room, facing the bedroom, the bathroom is on the left nearest the bedroom and the kitchen is on the right. We put a kitchen smoke detector on the dining room wall adjacent to the kitchen, so facing the bedroom it is on the right.

The stove is about 6 feet from both the kitchen smoke detector and the smoke detector outside the bedroom, the smoke detector outside the bedroom is around a corner from the stove.

So with the layout described, here's what we've seen: When cooking produces smoke, it tends to trip the required smoke detector outside the bedroom, but not the kitchen smoke detector. We often remove this smoke detector while cooking and hide it until the cooking is done.

2 possible solutions we're considering implementing when we are able are to replace the smoke detector with an photoelectric smoke detector like the kitchen smoke detector, which will be less likely to be triggered by cooking. And/or we need to run a duct to outside for the vent hood. (We currently have no duct and the ductless hood just returns smoke into the house)

The longer term solution will be that we're rebuilding the second floor to have 3 bedrooms, eliminating the first floor bedroom, moving the first floor bathroom, kitchen and stairs and the first floor smoke detector will be further from the kitchen. But that's a few years off.

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote