Smart Meters - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,998

Smart Meters

Is it worth getting a smart meter put on our house? The power company sent a letter telling us they'll be installing one in 2 weeks.

I'm thinking about calling to tell them not to bother since I haven't heard anything good about these meters.

What are the pro's and con's? If you have any experience with one, I'd like to hear about it... good or bad.

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 4,570

Smart Meters

Barb, we have one and can't tell any difference.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,122

Smart Meters

Not sure about where you are but here we did not have a choice. They just came and installed it. You could not refuse. We have not had any problems with them. We do have time of day usage here. You pay a different rate at different times of day. You can also call up their web page and log into your account. Then you can see how much power you are using everyday and at what rates. I like that feature.
gma2rjc (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,274

Smart Meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Not sure about where you are but here we did not have a choice. They just came and installed it. You could not refuse.
Same here and I haven't seen the meter reader since.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 4,328

Smart Meters

We have one and actually are getting a more accurate reading. It was an automatic with our city utility. No one has a choice to say no. Ameren is supposed to start converting the gas meters over to Smart meters, but are behind by a year on that project.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 4,570

Smart Meters

Quote:
Not sure about where you are but here we did not have a choice. They just came and installed it. You could not refuse. We have not had any problems with them. We do have time of day usage here. You pay a different rate at different times of day. You can also call up their web page and log into your account. Then you can see how much power you are using everyday and at what rates. I like that feature.
Same here...

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 4,426

Smart Meters

I can log into my account and see my usage in real time...more or less....at least by the hour.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

Smart Meters

We are usually a day or two behind on the web site.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Rewards Points: 260

Smart Meters

You have a choice to say no here in California. But it will cost you a one time opt out fee then an additional monthly charge.

Old style meters tend to slow down as they age and rarely go faster. I saw my monthly bill increase at my place in the desert during the winter when it wasn't really used. That is on so cal Edison. I heard a story from two of my journeymen that there bills went up as well on same power co. My regular house is on the city muni power and its about the same as before on a smart meter.
clw1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Smart Meters

If you're curious about you're own state or utility google "smart meter opt out ______"

Add your location or utility name to the blank. Memphis has no opt out fee as of 2013.
In California the state PUC set the rules for opt out with input from both sides.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,962

Smart Meters

http://www.wfaa.com/story/money/cons...ters/21311355/
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Smart Meters

I just was looking at DTE which I think is Detroit Edison? There opt out meter is the same as a smart meter with the radio disabled. But it still records all the data, just gets manually downloaded.
The Following User Says Thank You to clw1963 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #13

Smart Meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by clw1963 View Post
You have a choice to say no here in California. But it will cost you a one time opt out fee then an additional monthly charge.

Old style meters tend to slow down as they age and rarely go faster. I saw my monthly bill increase at my place in the desert during the winter when it wasn't really used. That is on so cal Edison. I heard a story from two of my journeymen that there bills went up as well on same power co. My regular house is on the city muni power and its about the same as before on a smart meter.
So before you were getting more than you paid for because your meter was faulty. Now with a new you meter you are paying a fair price. That's not the smart meter's fault. That would happen anyway if they decided to change your meter for regular maintenance.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #14
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Smart Meters

Quote:
So before you were getting more than you paid for because your meter was faulty. Now with a new you meter you are paying a fair price. That's not the smart meter's fault. That would happen anyway if they decided to change your meter for regular maintenance.
Not really. I should have said meters that have issues tend to go slower. It's not that ALL meters go slow with age. I've tested meters for residential and commercial, although it was a while back and didn't find a faulty one. Although I found one that just wasn't turning at all after an outage. Only bad meter I found, personally.

What the smart meters offer isn't accuracy as much as information. You may think it is great to see your usage within an hours or a days time. But I see the potential to hike rates during peak demand times. Not just tiered rates, not blanket TOU billing. But by the hour rates. Here in California where we've lost a nuke plant, are cutting fossil fuels from our energy profile and new resources aren't built fast enough... Somehow they'll exploit it. IMHO.

As far as paying fair price, I'm all for it. That's how I get paid. But I personally don't trust big brother and all the info collected. I don't trust that the new meters are any more accurate than the old ones. What kind of "corrections" the electronics can make on your readings. Maybe nothing. I just don't like them.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:01 AM   #15

Smart Meters

That's a good point about privacy. There is some Web site that is dedicated to opposition of smart meters and privacy.
Just Google it.
I read some of it a while back and not totally convinced that my rights are violated.

But I do agree. I don't trust them.

I placed a TED on my panel a while back to monitor my usage. I didn't trust their manual readings. TED = The Energy Detective. It works; talks to my WiFi and somewhat expensive.

Advertisement

al881 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al881 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-06-2015)