I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice. I notice a small spark when plugging a two prong appliance plug into a new GFI outlet. It doesn't happen when I plug a 3 prong appliance plug into it.
The GFI outlet does operate as it should when tested. But there is this small spark when plugging the 2 prong plug into it.
Any ideas what might be wrong? Thnaks for any suggestions.
My first guess is that you are plugging in an appliance that is not off. If an appliance is on it will create a small spark when plugged in. This spark is larger with the more power an appliance draws. A clock or radio will barley be able to be seen but something like a toaster or blow drier will make a fairly large spark. An appliance or cord that is off or not connected to anything should not spark (some appliances are still on for memory and capacitor charges even when off so they still may spark in a GFI or standard outlet)