Small Heating Element - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Small heating element

I am trying to build a hot air pencil for desoldering surface mount components. I bought a radioshack desoldering iron, hook up and aquarium pump and put copper braid in the tip.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062731
The pump push a small, steady amount of air through the iron, and the copper braid maximizes the amount of hot metal the air has to touch. The only problem is that the air still isnt getting hot enough. i want to add another heating element to the top peice of metal, where the hand pump connects. I took apart an old soldering iron i had lying around and accidently messed it up before i could use a multimeter to determine how much power was needed. What i did was not having the ground connected. The ground was wired to the metal chasis and when i took it apart, i left it out. i got a big spark. So what i am asking is the heating element ok or do i need to make my own.

Thanks
Mike

Advertisement

mgeno216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Small heating element

So...you were disassembling the iron while it was plugged in?

Advertisement

jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #3

Small heating element

No, i disassembled it, plugged it in to check voltages, but didn't have the circut completed. I was wondering if there was any damage done to the heating element.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #4

Small heating element

My guess (emphasis on guess) would be 'no' since an element is designed to have current flow through it. Its a resistor, of sorts. BUT - Where did the short occur? Which part of the device was unintentionally electrified? Can you reassemble the iron (safely and correctly) and check if it functions as designed?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #5

Small heating element

I have already tried assembling it, but it doesn't power on. That is because it isn't getting any power. I was also thinking that the element was fine. If i wanted to set this element on a desoldering iron, all i have to do is take the heating element and attach a ground to the opposite end of the power, right? Or does it even matter where the ground is
Old 03-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Small heating element

Are you using the same receptacle as when the device shorted? Did a breaker trip? Beyond that I can't follow your questions through this venue. I forfeit my comments for fear that injuries may occur.

Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #7

Small heating element

Don't worry i know how to handle electronics properly, but i am scraping the element for the soldering iron. I wasn't really making myself clear in my previous posts. Do you have any knowledge on ni-chrome wire. I heard that for small heating, that is the way to go. What sort of information is important when deciding what current or volts is nessacary to heat it up?

Advertisement