DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Slot #3 blocked in Q0N Breaker Panel

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim Port 
#1 ·
Help! I need a separate line for the under-the-cabinet microwave. The line that fed the oven light and fan doesn't make it.
Slot number 3 in my Square D Q0N breaker panel (installed about 1975) appeared to be the last slot available, but upon removing the cover plate, I discovered that there is a tab welded to the clip bar to prevent that slot from being used. First question--why? Second question--Can I remove the tab and use the slot? Third question--Since there are no slots in the mounting bar for accomodating the mounting cam of a Q0T (tandem) breaker, where can I find a tandem breaker with just the conventional clips if I need to go that route? (There is one intalled now.)
Thanks in advance,
dallen

#2 ·
There one thing i need to know is the model number of the breaker box it should be on the label on the panel door cover.

this will tell us what type of load centre you have and there are two verison of QO series tandaem breakers to use one is CLT type [ it will come with locking cam below of the breaker ] and the other type is Non CLT type breaker

once i know the info then we can tell what to do next

Merci , Marc

#3 ·
Marc,
Merci pour la reponse tres rapide. (That's the extent of my French)
I couldn't find a number labeled "Model" , but a sticker inside the cabinet did say, "Intrerior Cat. No. Q0N 26-614HA Use Square D class CTL type Q0 and Q1 Breakers."
There are no slots in the clip bar to accomodate the mounting cam of the Q0T type breakers. The one tandem breaker already mounted in the box is held by two clips like all of the other switches.

dallen

#4 ·
#5 ·
Marc,
I think I may have a knock-off (fake) SquareD panel. There are no SquareD stamps anywhere on the box or the door/cover --only stickers saying that's what it is.
I did find a sticker that said, "Class C.T.L. Panelboard Interior Issue No. 8181. Another sticker said use Class CTL Q0 and Q1 breakers. All of that type of breaker have the mounting cam like the picture you linked to, but my panel doesn't have the slots for the cam, so I can't use that type. My problem is to find a tandem breaker without the cam (mounting foot). I am beginning to suspect it is against code to use a tandem breaker without the foot in this box, but I would like to know if I can get one to fit and what the dangers are, and I'm still wondering why slot #3 is blocked.

dallen

#6 ·
Most of the panels that will accept tandems will only have the CTL slot in the bottom buss positions. You may be able to verify this by looking at the label. They may show 2 connection dots if you can use tandems. Also a part number might say something like QO200M3040.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.