Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

sloped roof, tight spot to work on.

I need to drill a hole, in the header from the attic but at the sloped end of the roof. It looks like a very tight spot. I have an close angle drill. But I don't have enough space to just kneel on the joist and work like I normally do? I think I may have to temporary secure a piece of plywood and lay prone there.. Any other ideas? Drill from bottom? (I am adding a old work box).. would a single gang hole would allow me to drill from the bottom?

DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
I need to drill a hole, in the header from the attic but at the sloped end of the roof. It looks like a very tight spot. I have an close angle drill. But I don't have enough space to just kneel on the joist and work like I normally do? I think I may have to temporary secure a piece of plywood and lay prone there.. Any other ideas? Drill from bottom? (I am adding a old work box).. would a single gang hole would allow me to drill from the bottom?
I don't get it, where is the box going? What is it for?

Yep your right it is easier to lay on a sheet of plywood than just lying / climbing across the bare joists. I just layed / climbed across 50' of bare joists at the edge of the room to feed cable down in my sofit box.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
With a flex bit, yes. I have also drill holes by lifting a shingle in the right spot and drilling from the roof! This takes a little trig to figure, but it can be a real headache saver! (or real headache if done wrong!)
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

I am adding a receptacle that is inside a kitchen cabinet for my microwave, the microwave is mounted a wall cabinet.

Could I also just drill a hole in the ceiling and run a NM wire down into the cabinet and use a surface mount box secured to the cabinet? I lose a bit of space but much easier to plan.

The receptacle can be as high as just below the header or a bit lower I suppose.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
I am adding a receptacle that is inside a kitchen cabinet for my microwave, the microwave is mounted a wall cabinet.

Could I also just drill a hole in the ceiling and run a NM wire down into the cabinet and use a surface mount box secured to the cabinet? I lose a bit of space but much easier to plan.

The receptacle can be as high as just below the header or a bit lower I suppose.
Yes. I would just cut a hole in the ceiling with a jig saw or small drywall saw (key hole saw) and use a old work box. Then the box is mounted flush with the ceiling. It is very quick and easy to do and looks much nicer than just a box mounted on the surface. Also you don't lose any space.

Buy a good receptacle so it holds onto the plug tightly.

Jamie
Old 01-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #6

Great idea!

I am thinking the cord for the microwave isn't over 2 feet long, they are usually incredibly short. Should I get a short AC extension cord or is that starting to look like I didn't do the job properly..
Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
DIY'er

Quote:
Great idea!

I am thinking the cord for the microwave isn't over 2 feet long, they are usually incredibly short. Should I get a short AC extension cord or is that starting to look like I didn't do the job properly..
If the cord isn't going to reach, then I would put the outlet down lower so the cord can reach. You could just use a metal box with a short piece of conduit on it as a sleeve, then you can put it anywhere you need to.

Do you have access from the basement or is it all finished? If you have access from the basement them you could drill from down there and fish it and put it in the wall.

Jamie
Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #8

Drill a hole in the top of the cabinet and sleeve the cable with aluminum flex down thru the cabinet to wherever you need it. Terminate it in a surface mounted box/recep/cover.

Ground the box.

If you ever have to drill the outside wall top plate and your eaves are open, remove/replace the bird board and drill it from outside.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #9

If you go the attic drilling route, use a short bit first. Brace your R/A drill against the truss so it doesn't kick back and realign your teeth. Keep your face back from the drill... trust me on this one
Try laying across a kid's foam snow sled in the rafters it's a lot easier on the ribs.
Why not just put a longer cord on the microwave or is it too tough to get at?

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote