Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #1

Share |

Slightly complicated light switch help.(pics)

Ok I'll start off by explaining what lead to this project. I bought a 110 Volt hot tub that came with a 15ft cord that can plug into a normal outlet "plug and play". I ran the cord into my shed where I have a GFCI outlet. The outlet was on the wall about chest high and the cord ended up being 3ft too short. The hot tub manual states not to use an extension cord so I decided to move the outlet down further and it worked out perfect that there was already a 4 inch box towards the floor of the shed that didnt have anything in it besides the wires that run from the house and then to the GFCI outlet and the lights. I have a light inside the shed that is connected to the LOAD on the GFCI outlet and controlled by a switch in the shed, I was able to connect this light without issue. I also have a light outside the shed that is controlled by a switch inside of the house. This light I cannot seem to figure out how to get it working again, I should have paid a little more attention while disconnecting everything. Basically running from my basement to the shed is 4 wires a HOT (black), a NEUTRAL(white), GROUND(green), and a BLUE wire that is connected to the switch in the house. The blue wire is connected to the HOT wire is the basement before running outside. I tried multiple different ways to get this to work with the switch but the only way I got it to turn on made it stay on when the switch was in the off position and then when I flipped the switch it popped the GFCI. I also tried other ways with no success.

I have attached some pictures that will help show you what I am talking about.
1. Shows the box in the shed where the wires come in from the basement.
2. Shows the box in the basement that leads out to the shed.
3. Shows where the outlet used to be.
4. Shows where the outlet is now.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...110_021907.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...110_023705.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...110_032115.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...110_032146.jpg

Last edited by Joe333x; 11-10-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Joe333x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Connect the blue wire from the house to the black wire for the outside light. Do not connect either one to the GFCI receptacle.

But, you have to connect the neutral lead for the outside light to the "LINE" terminal on the GFCI outlet. Otherwise, it will trip out.

You may have to pigtail those wires if there is not sufficient means on the outlet for a proper connection.

Also, did you connect all those ground wires together with the green wire?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!

Last edited by kbsparky; 11-10-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Ground wire question
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I actually just grounded the light wires to the 4in box, is that not ok, should they be connect to the green wire?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

The box is not properly grounded. You connected that green conductor directly to the GFI receptacle. The box is fed with non-metallic conduit.

You are not allowed to ground the box thru the mounting screws of a receptacle, or its cover.

The proper way is to connect all those ground wires together, with pigtails to a green screw or grounding clip to the box, and another tail to the receptacle.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
The box is not properly grounded. You connected that green conductor directly to the GFI receptacle. The box is fed with non-metallic conduit.

You are not allowed to ground the box thru the mounting screws of a receptacle, or its cover.

The proper way is to connect all those ground wires together, with pigtails to a green screw or grounding clip to the box, and another tail to the receptacle.
Thank you very much I will fix everything tommorow night and post back. I appreciate your help!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #6

Just want to thank you once again. I wired everything up correctly and nothing is grounded to the box anymore. All grounds are connected to the green wire. Everything works perfectly. I appreciate your help!