DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Slab Ground pool inspection

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  alexromu 
#1 ·
I saw some comments here, teaching people to do the right thing on electrical pool connection, and I got interested to ask you about my case here.
I do have a pool with one light only, low voltage, I understood I have to run into the plastic conduit a rubber cord ( on my plans say light cord into conduit green black and white) what number is that? So together I’ll run a #8 cooper right? or do not need(green one will replace?) to be connected into a junction box ok.
What I have to do about compound material, just put compound over the connection cables? is that the meaning??? I do have my niche of light open , it’s a new pool so inspection will not to see the final,(for now just slab ground inspection) but I believe they come to see the compound material into the niche right??

Please let me know

Regards,
alex

#2 ·
Alex, Are you in Canada? Your code requirements for pools will be different than ours, I would assume?
When dealing with pools, spas it is so important that you do this right. You are asking about the light and no questions regarding the bonding. I suggest you hire a professional or provide us with more information. Please do not install anything until you are sure what you are doing. This a matter of life and death.

#3 ·
Alex, Are you in Canada? Your code requirements for pools will be different than ours, I would assume?
When dealing with pools, spas it is so important that you do this right. You are asking about the light and no questions regarding the bonding. I suggest you hire a professional or provide us with more information. Please do not install anything until you are sure what you are doing. This a matter of life and death.
ok, it's a new pool located in Florida, i pass all inspection till now, the next will be slab ground, I do have a plastic conduit coming from the niche to the junction box, this line I'll run a red, black and green cable, the green one will be ground at niche covered with compound, my question is, out of the conduit, i do have a #8 cooper going around the pool, then running to the pump, so in the conduit besides the green one, i do have to run another #8 cooper????

#4 ·
There's no such thing as "slab ground."

You seem to be confusing grounding and bonding. The housing on your wet niche light should have a lug on it that will receive a #8 copper wire. That lug has nothing to do with the green wire, and has nothing to do with grounding. The #8 wire makes connection between anything and everything in the pool area that is metal. It connects the lug on the pump, lights, rebar, pole sockets, diving board, ladder sockets, and other metal parts together so gradient differences in electrical current don't kill anyone. It essentially estabilishes continuity between everything via metal to metal contact. Bonding has absolutely nothing to do with grounding, and is not ran in conduit, but is critical to pool safety.

If you make the smallest mistake, there is a high likelihood that someone using your pool can be shocked and killed.

Please don't be offended, but you've exhibited that you do not understand this at all. You need to hire a professional electrician, or you need to seek professional guidance in your area.

#5 · (Edited)
You would be best to heed kctermites advice and get professional assistance locally so you can get it right the first time around. The fact you are getting inspections is great so hope you are up front and honest about doing that.

You do not seem to understand the 'why' of what your doing with the underwater light , wet niche and bonding wire. My gut says your going to wire this up anyway so I try to help best I can.

First you indicate that you have pvc (plastic) conduit from the wet niche forming shell to a jb on the deck of the pool. You also ask if you run a red, black and green to the forming shell from the swimming pool junction box. Answer is no you don't. Those wires will be in the power cord that comes with the light assembly. So you don't run any individual wires just the light cord through the pvc conduit. The power cord and light are a sealed assembly. I hope you understand this and were not thinking you could run wires to the wet niche and hook up just any ole low voltage light. Remember that the wet niche floods with water. You must use a listed underwater low voltage luminaire (light).
Since you used plastic conduit (must be a listed electrical pvc conduit not water pipe plastic)) from the junction box on the pool deck to the wet niche forming shell. You are required to run along with the lights power cord a #8 awg copper insulated green bonding wire. This #8 insulated copper bonding bonding wire will attach to the metal bonding lug on the ins ide of the wet niche forming shell. Where this connection is made you must encapsulate (enclose) it in potting compound. On the backside of the wet niche you connect a #8 bare or insulated copper to this same lug and then it connects to the bonding grid that bonds all the other metal parts of the pool and equipment. Please refer to the diagram I've posted below. Your wet niche forming shell may be stainless steel or pvc plastic... irregardless if a bonding lug is present both types are treated the same

Please refer to the diagram I've posted below.

Attachments

#7 ·
You would be best to heed kctermites advice and get professional assistance locally so you can get it right the first time around. The fact you are getting inspections is great so hope you are up front and honest about doing that.

You do not seem to understand the 'why' of what your doing with the underwater light , wet niche and bonding wire. My gut says your going to wire this up anyway so I try to help best I can.

First you indicate that you have pvc (plastic) conduit from the wet niche forming shell to a jb on the deck of the pool. You also ask if you run a red, black and green to the forming shell from the swimming pool junction box. Answer is no you don't. Those wires will be in the power cord that comes with the light assembly. So you don't run any individual wires just the light cord through the pvc conduit. The power cord and light are a sealed assembly. I hope you understand this and were not thinking you could run wires to the wet niche and hook up just any ole low voltage light. Remember that the wet niche floods with water. You must use a listed underwater low voltage luminaire (light).
Since you used plastic conduit (must be a listed electrical pvc conduit not water pipe plastic)) from the junction box on the pool deck to the wet niche forming shell. You are required to run along with the lights power cord a #8 awg copper insulated green bonding wire. This #8 insulated copper bonding bonding wire will attach to the metal bonding lug on the ins ide of the wet niche forming shell. Where this connection is made you must encapsulate (enclose) it in potting compound. On the backside of the wet niche you connect a #8 bare or insulated copper to this same lug and then it connects to the bonding grid that bonds all the other metal parts of the pool and equipment. Please refer to the diagram I've posted below. Your wet niche forming shell may be stainless steel or pvc plastic... irregardless if a bonding lug is present both types are treated the same

Please refer to the diagram I've posted below.
Stubbie

Tks for the illustration perfect, so question was if the slab ground inspection the inspector comes to see the wiring, or just the #8 cooper plus the conduit pipe. I think the slab ground inspection they comes to see just the conduits from the niche to the equipment, and conduits from the equipment to the main panel, wiring they comes to see at final, correct?? so one more question, on the illustration i see a #8 green cable going inside the conduit too, i do have a #8 going from the niche but around the pool conectiong all metals and going to the pump, i still need the #8 into the pipe too??
Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.