Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Share |

Size wire for A/C, A/H and Range?

Alright so i figured i would ask this on here since on electricantalk they were giving me **** because my question wasn't "electrician professional" type question.

So i know most people on here are very helpful, should have come here in the first place.

Anyways, i'm helping out a friend who is rewiring a house he gutted. It's been about 5 years since i did residential electrical so my knowledge is a little rusty.

Wiring circuits, switches, all that type of stuff is really simple just because i did it so many times.

The only thing i cant seem to remember is wire sizes.

Now i know the dryer is 10 guage as well as the water heater but is the dryer 10-2 or 10-3? I can't remember without looking at one of the outlets.

For the range, i can't seem to remember what size wire we used to use, i want to say 6 guage but i want to ask on here to be sure.

Now on to the A/C and A/H. I've asked my friend what size the amps they are going to be and he told me 45 for both. Now the A/H at 45 seems kind of high to me, what do you guys think?

What about for wire size, can i use 8 gauge or do i have to go with the 6 gauge?

Everything is residential so it's going to be romex.

I tried looking in 310.16 in the NEC and i've gotten different responses about whether or not i need to look in the 60 degree column or not. Which column is for romex wire (this is what electriciantalk was giving me **** about)? I assume it would be in the same column as THHN but a couple people were telling me to look in the 60 degree column

Anyways thanks for the help ahead of time!

Help us help you by posting pictures with your question!

Last edited by tripflex; 05-17-2010 at 02:44 PM.
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Use the 60 deg C column for NM(romex) cable. A range rated at 12kW or less can be on a 40 amp circuit fed with 8-3 w/g NM. Dryer requires 10-3 w/g. Find out the minimumn ampacity and the maximum CB/Fuse to size the AC circuit. AH sounds high at 45 amps.

Older dryer/range installations may be 3 wire configurations. New wiring requires 4 wire feeders.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
tripflex (05-17-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Use the 60 deg C column for NM(romex) cable. A range rated at 12kW or less can be on a 40 amp circuit fed with 8-3 w/g NM. Dryer requires 10-3 w/g. Find out the minimumn ampacity and the maximum CB/Fuse to size the AC circuit. AH sounds high at 45 amps.

Older dryer/range installations may be 3 wire configurations. New wiring requires 4 wire feeders.

Awesome, that's exactly the answer i was looking for! I ask on a professional electrician forum and they are looking for the "deeper meaning" haha, thanks a ton man!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

No, the deeper meaning is that you have no idea what you are looking at yet you say you are a professional.
ET is for professional discussions, NOT diy type stuff. This is made VERY clear in the sign up page and other places. I am sorry that this concept bothers you so much.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Used to run a crew and you don't remember the basics of properly sizing wires?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

I hate to be rude in here but for the North Americian dryer c'est simple 120/240 volt 30 amp 6.0mmX3 {10 AWG }full three wire with ground { aka 4 wire set up }

While most common resdentail water heaters typically use 6.0mmX2 { 10 -2 } with 30 amp OCPD

For the range it will depending on the KW size however for under 12 KW typically you can get by with 10mm { 8 AWG } but few case you will need 16mm { 6 AWG } and I know you will plan run the new range circuit it must have 4 wire set up as I mention above.

For Air handler unit just look at the nameplate for info that is the only way you can able sized the conductor and OCPD properly.

For Romex cable you have to use 60C rating not the 75C when you have to sized the NM cables.

Oh yeah the other thing did your freind or you pull the permit ??

This part the inspectors getting strict with it and also you have to check with your NEC code they change a bit.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
tripflex (06-07-2010)
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
No, the deeper meaning is that you have no idea what you are looking at yet you say you are a professional.
ET is for professional discussions, NOT diy type stuff. This is made VERY clear in the sign up page and other places. I am sorry that this concept bothers you so much.
I would consider myself yes. But all the work i do now is all industrial/commerical for the DOT, i dont even touch residential anymore. All i am trying to do is help a friend out. So yes, maybe i shouldn't have posted that on that forum i didn't know people like to talk **** more than help.

I figured it would be a simple one or two response over and done thread, i didnt know it would turn into everyone ganging up on me. I figured since I AM a professional in the electrical field JUST NOT RESIDENTIAL, that my fellow peers wouldn't mind answering a simple question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Used to run a crew and you don't remember the basics of properly sizing wires?
That was 5+ years ago, i don't remember it because i haven't wired a house since then! You're post was useless. Obviously i don't remember otherwise i wouldn't have stared this thread!

Last edited by tripflex; 06-07-2010 at 10:52 AM.