DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Size and type of entrance wire for 200A?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kbsparky 
#1 ·
Hi, I've been reading the forum for a while and gotten some great info just lurking around! I need you guys to confirm something for me:

I'm in the process of rewiring a friends house pretty much top to bottom. The new 200A panel is installed and just about the whole house has been rewired into it. I'm at the point of having the old panel disconnected and i want to make sure I have the proper cable.

My plan is to run a new entrance wire from the meter into the house using either 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum. I know both will be OK, I just want to know if there are any compelling reasons to go with one or the other? The current run is not in conduit, so I was just going to replicate the existing setup.

This brings up another question; who 'owns' the wire from the meter up to the drip loop where it connects to the wire coming from the pole? The only reason I care is that (IMHO) it looks to be in pretty sad shape, i.e. the outer insulation is cracked and falling apart. If it is the homeowner's responsibility I will replace it and have the POCO connect to that.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
In almost all instance the homeowner is responsible for the service drop from the utility connection to the meter socket. 2/0 Cu SE or 4/0 Al SE is the proper cable to use. If you have upgraded to the 200 amp from a smaller service the meter socket and the riser from the meter will also need to be replaced.

#3 ·
why are you working on another persons house if you are not a qualified electrician? Since you have not mentioned your location, I will go with the odds and say you cannot legally work on your friends house and it is obvious you shouldn't be working on another persons house.

sorry to be abrupt but when you are dealing with not only another persons property, you may be dealing with their life, it is important you know what you are doing.

#6 ·
why are you working on another persons house if you are not a qualified electrician? Since you have not mentioned your location, I will go with the odds and say you cannot legally work on your friends house and it is obvious you shouldn't be working on another persons house.

sorry to be abrupt but when you are dealing with not only another persons property, you may be dealing with their life, it is important you know what you are doing.
No problem. I had entered my location when I signed up, but I just noticed it is not showing up...

Either way in NY, outside of a few city's (Syracuse, NY etc) you do not need to be a licensed electrician to do electrical work on single family resedences. In this case the POCO will inspect before turning power back on.
Where I live, in Syracuse I have a certificate that allows me to work in my own home. Outside the city limits that restriction does not apply.

I believe NY is one of very few states like this.

To address your concern, I have been working on friends homes for nearly 10 years doing this type of work.

This is, however the first time I needed to go outside the house, hence my question about who owns the wire from the service drop.

I do appreciate the concern though, in all seriousness.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. So I would have to replace the wire from the meter to the service drop myself and the POCO would just connect to that when they return to reinstall the meter?

I had checked the meter socket previously and it is marked "100/200". From what I have found out this indicates it should be fine for a 200A service?

#5 ·
You will likely have one issue as Nap has eluded to ... the power company will require an inspection by the local code authority before they reconnect to the new panel and meter socket enclosure and service entrance conductors. That will likely require that an electrician has acquired a electrical permit from the local building codes office. A homeowners permit rarly covers a service upgrade.

#7 ·
Either way in NY, outside of a few city's (Syracuse, NY etc) you do not need to be a licensed electrician to do electrical work on single family residences.
I would suggest that you check that with the poco and your county building codes office. I have never known that to be the case anywhere in the USA unless it is your home.... Or you are working for a licensed contractor who is supervising the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.