DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

single pole vs. double pole circuits

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
i am wiring a new water heater that calls for 4 40 amp or 2 75 amp circuits. Am i able to use single pole 40 amp circuits with #8 wire, or do I need to use double pole 40. I dont want to use the 75 amp due to the #4 wire I would have to use, and I dont want to use 8 slots in my box for the 4 double pole 40s. What do I do?

Thanks,

DannoW

#3 ·
what does the owners manule say? By what you describe I take it that this is an ondemand water heater? If so from what I read on here in other threads that you need at least a 200 amp service for those. But back to your question I think it would need double pole breakers.

#5 ·
What do I do?

Thanks,

DannoW
Get rid of that #$%&* tankless electric water heater!

Don't dealers of these things go over this stuff before hand to let folks know what a hassle it can be???
Oh yeah, duh, they might not make the sale that way.

#6 ·
the theory of these things is great.

that is where things end from what I see. The power requirements, either electrical or gas, often require such major work, the installation costs a fortune. On top of that, it seems they are not all they are cracked up to be. Too many folks either not setting then correctly, not understaning their limitations, or not buying a large enough unit.

#8 ·
Somehow what.,, the Gaz fired units seems better than electric unit due the BTU rating and yeah of course you will hit the snag with gas system you will probly a good chance need to upgrade the pipeing system and Of course the gaz metering device it will have up upsized anyway.

Merci,Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.