Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

single pole switch for jacuzzi tub

I am trying to use a switch to power my jacuzzi tub. It is older and does not have any buttons on the tub itself. I found a diagram on-line and tried that but I am having problems still. Here is what I did. I went green from motor to green screw on GFCI, white from motor to white on GFCI and black from motor to a screw on a single pole switch and black from GFCI to the othe screw on single pole switch. Still getting constant power.

Could it be possible the switch is defective?

kodeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

You probably have a two-way switch, (not a "single pole" switch), whereas the toggle when down is "OFF" and when up is "ON", and is so labeled. Possible the switch is bad, turn off the power, remove the switch, and test with a multi-meter to determine if it is bad or not. Why wire the motor through the GFCI to begin with? Are you using the GFCI as protection? Not a good idea to me. Having the GFCI there will be tempting to use for another reason, IMO--each trip reduces the life of the GFCI. IF the motor will run with just the switch, seek an alternative method of ground-fault protection. Are you sure the motor will run-safely? Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

Sure it could. Your wiring description sounds right. How are you doing this? Are you feeding a GFCI receptacle and then feeding the motor with the load side of the GFCI with the switch breaking the black (hot)? Is that correct?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Sure it could. Your wiring description sounds right. How are you doing this? Are you feeding a GFCI receptacle and then feeding the motor with the load side of the GFCI with the switch breaking the black (hot)? Is that correct?
That is exactly how I am doing it. I am using a GFCI as a ground fault because nothing else will be used on it.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You probably have a two-way switch, (not a "single pole" switch), whereas the toggle when down is "OFF" and when up is "ON", and is so labeled. Possible the switch is bad, turn off the power, remove the switch, and test with a multi-meter to determine if it is bad or not. Why wire the motor through the GFCI to begin with? Are you using the GFCI as protection? Not a good idea to me. Having the GFCI there will be tempting to use for another reason, IMO--each trip reduces the life of the GFCI. IF the motor will run with just the switch, seek an alternative method of ground-fault protection. Are you sure the motor will run-safely? Good Luck, David
The one on the left is the same as mine.http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/geog/gess...-household.jpg
Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeblue View Post
I went green from motor to green screw on GFCI, white from motor to white on GFCI and black from motor to a screw on a single pole switch and black from GFCI to the othe screw on single pole switch.
This whole thing scares me. Are you sure you know what you are doing?
Where is the circuit ground if you are going from the motor to the GFI?
How are you feeding the GFI?
What you describe does not tell us where the feed is.

You do realize this is a tub here? This is a potentially lethal setup if done wrong.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
This whole thing scares me. Are you sure you know what you are doing?
Where is the circuit ground if you are going from the motor to the GFI?
How are you feeding the GFI?
What you describe does not tell us where the feed is.

You do realize this is a tub here? This is a potentially lethal setup if done wrong.
I do understand it is dangerous and will be having it inspected when the work is all done and before it gets used. The ground from the motor goes to the green screen on the GFCI. Here is how I have it setup. http://www.terrylove.com/jet.htm