Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #1

Share |

Single outlet

The "auxiliary" outlet near my hot air furnace is a single outlet in a 4" square box. Is that some kind of code requirement? Can I just replace that box with a deep 4" and put two duplex outlets in there?
Thanks.

rkhpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #2

Single outlet

The way to find out is to call your local building authority. You might or might not need a dedicated circuit for whatever this outlet is for. Do you know what the outlet was put there for?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #3

Single outlet

I was just about to post a similar question....

Does the furnace need to be on a separate circuit or can power be run from a nearby outlet?
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #4

Single outlet

Good question. Every house I owned did have it on a seperate circuit, with a disconnect (on/off) switch near it though. I do know that sump pumps must be on their own.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #5

Single outlet

What do you mean by "auxiliary" outlet? If it is part of the furnace you just need to ask the manufacturer.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Electrician philosopher

Single outlet

I bet a dollar it is on a single outlet because it is in a basement. The original electrician installed a single recp. to avoid putting in a GFCI. If you replaced the single recp. with two duplexes and I am in fact correct in my assumptions, then you would have to protect this circuit with a GFCI.

Interestingly enough, In 2008 NEC the rules change for basements and garages, with the elemination of the exception for single recps on normally protected circuits. Now how big a nerd am I for already having my '08 codebook when GA won't adopt until '09??
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #7

Single outlet

Thanks for the responses, guys. I took the time to follow the romex back to the box. The furnace itself is hardwired on an individual circuit. The outlet I was talking about is one of two that is run off another circuit that provides current for the humidifier motor, evaporator pump, etc. I can't see any good reason why it wasn't a duplex, though. I guess my question stands. The GFI answer was a good one, but there's already two outlets on the run. If you're gonna put an outlet there, and everything is low current, why just a single receptacle and not a duplex?
rkhpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Electrician

Single outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
I do know that sump pumps must be on their own.

What code requires this?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Electrician

Single outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhpapa View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys. I took the time to follow the romex back to the box. The furnace itself is hardwired on an individual circuit. The outlet I was talking about is one of two that is run off another circuit that provides current for the humidifier motor, evaporator pump, etc. I can't see any good reason why it wasn't a duplex, though. I guess my question stands. The GFI answer was a good one, but there's already two outlets on the run. If you're gonna put an outlet there, and everything is low current, why just a single receptacle and not a duplex?
Maybe thats all the guy had on his truck... sometimes you have to use what you have on your truck.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote