Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

single gang single pole switch on fan

okay, so my current set up is a ceiling fan with a light in my kitchen is powered and then wired to a double switch single pole single gang. top switch works light and bottom switch works fan. i just bought this house a month ago and im currently converting my black outlets, switches and covers to white ones. so i bought a double switch with a single pole in one gang. my current wires behind the switch is ground, red, black and white, my old switch was wired with red on top right. white on top left and black on bottom right and ground to ground. this hookup the fan/light worked fine. i hook up my new white switch same way and now my bottom switch doesnt work and my top work both the fan and light, what is the problem? wrong switch? wrong hookup? i just want my light on the top switch and fan on the bottom. my new switch has a ground and 2 black screws for hot and to gold for common, double switch single pole single gang ???? thank you.

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

What you got there what I called double switch loop this is little tricky to deal with it if not done right.

The way you desceribing the white is unswitched circuit and black for fan and red for light

you have to understand this all the switch manufacters don't use the same pattern at all so what you need to indentify it .,

look for word common or two screw are close to each other that white will be hook up if not just reverse the two.

before I get too far what switch brand name the reason why I ask ya due I know P&S and Leveton do have diffrent format so it will help me a bit so i can able dail in the correct pattern and the model number as well if possible.

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #3

its a levitron switch. the wires i have to work with is one white, one black, one red and one ground. the switch has 2 common screws that are close to each other and 2 hot screws and a ground screw.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

Put the white on the common screw.
unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #5

the white wire is on the common screw, the only difference from the old switch was that it had no ground and the 2 screws on the right and left were spaced evenly. 2 left screws and 2 right screws looked like the 2 right on in the pic below.

i have only one white wire, one black, one red and one ground. and my switch looks like this

Last edited by fabian; 03-04-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 36

You have the wrong wire on the common screw. Look at the old switch and try to figure which was the common. Going by position almost never works unless you have the same brand and model of switch. On that switdch picture the two black screws on the right are the common.

If you have a meter measure from each wire to ground for voltage. The one with the voltage is the common wire. It should be the white but in your case it seems to not be.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #7

Just to confirm, you only have a black,red,white and ground in the switch box? If so, are you able to confirm with a tester that the white is hot - I am only assuming this because of the previous switch config - test between white and ground, you should have 120v or so. The wire with 120 volt to ground is your common, it will go on the screws to the right side (common) facing front, the 2 screws close together.

Joed got me by a minute!!

Last edited by unclduey; 03-04-2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: comment
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #8

ok i do have a tester that measures 120 and 240, so your saying, test one end on the ground and the other on white wire. if it lights up 120 that means that white is common? or hot? on the old switch, its so old that it didnt have a ground screw and says +1 +2 on 2 screws thats it
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #9

Yes. measure each wire to ground. Only one of them should measure 120 volts. That one is the hot feed and goes on the double black screw.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclduey View Post
The wire with 120 volt to ground is your common, it will go on the screws to the right side (common) facing front, the 2 screws close together.
ok this part confuesed me, common is neutral isnt it? so if the wire with 120 volt to ground lights up thats my hot. not common. sorry unclduey just confuesed me there
Old 03-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 16

He meant common on the switch. The hot wire must connect to the common of the switch, then the switch legs wire to the other side of the switch and head back to the fan light.
Do you still have the old switch?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #12

ok so i will test to see which wire of the three (white black and red)is my hot. that hot wire (lets say black) will go to a common screw. so now my black wire is on common because it identified as hot lets say. then i have ground to groung screw and im left with white and red. does these two go on the same side? for ex. left side of switch or right side of switch or do there go on the same switch, one of the left and one on the right?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #13

thanks guys. white was hot. =) got it now
Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #14

This is a switch loop. There is no neutral wire in this box.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
thanks guys. white was hot. =) got it now
Good job!