Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
What can I find here?

Share |

Single Gang Box used as a Junction?

I currently have a regular light switch for our dining room table that I feel was placed in a poor position.

Similarly in an adjacent room, the light switch for our four seasons room was poorly placed around the corner. In other words, it's not in the room for which it's being used. Where it should be located, is a switch for an outdoor light. I cannot place a 2 gang box here because of the wall construction (lack of room) but will place a double switch most commonly found in bathrooms with vent & light combinations.

Back to the dining room light. I've just recently installed a new chandelier and it desperately needs a dimmer. I already had in my possession a set of 3-way switches that include dimmers that I would like to install. The original location of the four seasons room light switch will now house one of the 3-way switches. While on the opposite side of the room I'd like to install the other 3-way.

This long explanation takes me to my question. Can the single gang box from which I'd like to remove the original chandelier switch be covered, made to be a junction box, and drywalled over like it was never there?

This is my first question asked on this forum.
Much thanks in advance.

Last edited by Winchester; 09-01-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Can the single gang box from which I'd like to remove the original chandelier switch be covered, made to be a junction box, and drywalled over like it was never there?
This would be a big NO. You can use it as a junction box, but it MUST remain accessible. That is you can put a blank cover over it but you cannot drywall over it. If you can move the wires to the new box and eliminate the old box entirely then that would be your better option. Otherwise you could run longer wire between the source and the fixture or relocate the junction box to say maybe the attic?

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
What can I find here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
This would be a big NO. You can use it as a junction box, but it MUST remain accessible. That is you can put a blank cover over it but you cannot drywall over it. If you can move the wires to the new box and eliminate the old box entirely then that would be your better option. Otherwise you could run longer wire between the source and the fixture or relocate the junction box to say maybe the attic?
Thank you for your answer. I was afraid of this but your answer also led me to a more accurate troubleshooting of the existing wiring scheme.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
What can I find here?

#1 is my source
#2 is the current switch for which I wish to remove.
#3 would be my master 3-way switch
#4 is the switch for the 4-season room light for which will be moved and the slave 3-way switch inserted.

Red path is the existing circuit for which I wish to remove.
Blue path to the master 3-way
Yellow path to the slave 3-way
Green path to the chandelier

Would this be the proper method for installing this circuit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow line would be my only 3-wire?
Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Single Gang Box used as a Junction?-copy-dining_table.jpg  

Last edited by Winchester; 09-01-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
#1 is my source
#2 is the current switch for which I wish to remove.
#3 would be my master 3-way switch
#4 is the switch for the 4-season room light for which will be moved and the slave 3-way switch inserted.

Red path is the existing circuit for which I wish to remove.
Blue path to the master 3-way
Yellow path to the slave 3-way
Green path to the chandelier

Would this be the proper method for installing this circuit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow line would be my only 3-wire?
Any help appreciated.
Looks good, if you want to remove that existing box I would look at going down to that outlet box from the ceiling. Is there an attic above this room or an open basement below? How do you plan on wiring the blue and green paths?

The yellow path would be your only 3 wire circuit.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
What can I find here?

Quote:
Looks good, if you want to remove that existing box I would look at going down to that outlet box from the ceiling. Is there an attic above this room or an open basement below? How do you plan on wiring the blue and green paths?

The yellow path would be your only 3 wire circuit.
Thanks for your reply again.
I have an unfinished basement below. Above is the second story.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #7

Hmm, that will make it difficult to remove that existing box. My suggestion would be to just simply put a blank cover on that box, you could always hang a larger picture above it so that it covers up the box on the wall. Just an idea...

Let us know if you need any help with wiring diagrams for your planned circuit.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
What can I find here?

Quote:
Hmm, that will make it difficult to remove that existing box. My suggestion would be to just simply put a blank cover on that box, you could always hang a larger picture above it so that it covers up the box on the wall. Just an idea...

Let us know if you need any help with wiring diagrams for your planned circuit.
Covering the box with a blank cover would be the easy way but if you knew me, I never seem to take the easy route. But then again, I hate doing drywall. LOL

Would it be possible to cut it out with a jigsaw? Going around the perimeter of the box? Techinically just the mounted side and probably a knife around the others?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #9

What I meant by being difficult to remove the existing box is, running new wire from the light to the new switch box location. Without doing a lot of drywall work, there really isn't an easy way to do it. Yes you could cut out the existing box with a jigsaw, but you'd need to be able to run the new wire up to the light box, and I think you will find that part difficult to accomplish.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
What can I find here?

Quote:
What I meant by being difficult to remove the existing box is, running new wire from the light to the new switch box location. Without doing a lot of drywall work, there really isn't an easy way to do it. Yes you could cut out the existing box with a jigsaw, but you'd need to be able to run the new wire up to the light box, and I think you will find that part difficult to accomplish.
I was thinking how it would be rather simple attaching the new wire to the old and pulling it down but now that I think about it. The wire is probably stapled in the wall? GRRRRR.