Single Conductors Straight To Service Panel From Outside - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Single conductors straight to service panel from outside


I am hooking up a portable generator behind my shed (about 50 ft from the house). So far, I've buried the four single conductor #10 THHN/THWN wires in a 1" conduit from the house to shed. Seemed easy enough, except for all the rocks in my way ;-).

My question is about coming back into the house. I was told by a couple Home Depot guys that I have to terminate it in a box and run Romex to the panel. The panel is directly below the entry point. I came in directly adjacent to the main service entry to the house, which is a big 2"+ conduit straight into the service panel. Being lazy, I would like to just run the single conductors straight down to the panel (about 30" ), or do I need to put it a box? If so, what type of box. None I find have 1" entry for conduit AND Romex type outputs. Any guidance would be appreciated.




diydaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor
jbfan's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 7,027
Rewards Points: 650

You either need to run conduit to the panel, or change over to romex inside a box.


"The problem isn't that Hillary Clinton lies. We all know she lies. The problem is that her supporters don't seem to care"
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 848
Rewards Points: 760

PVC conduit?

You could find a reducer fitting, 1" to 3/4". Any big box store will have a junction box with 3/4" and 1/2" knockouts.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Hi jbfan,

So can I use any surface mount box and just drill out the back to bring in the conduit stub? I didn't see much in the way of suitable boxes other than steel. Looks hard to put a 1" hole in it and the blue plastic variety don't seem to come in surface mount. I saw a PVC outdoor box 4x4x2 with flanges but no holes. Would this work? Just drill my own holes?


diydaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Mad Scientist
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 951

Yeah, with those grey PVC boxes you just drill your own holes where you need 'em. If it were me, I'd try to just complete the conduit run all the way into the panel, if feasible.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

generator , hookup , house

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fireblocking around electrical service panel dbmjmj Building & Construction 0 07-11-2010 05:51 PM
service panel wires douglascase Electrical 3 06-12-2010 03:28 PM
Can I wire a new panel without service or run a "big" subpanel? tigereye Electrical 7 03-03-2009 04:00 PM
Grounding for two service entrances to same house. jogr Electrical 18 09-24-2008 10:31 AM
Basement receptacle under service panel mekanic Electrical 2 05-12-2006 05:41 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1