Simple Wireless Or X10 Light Switch? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Simple wireless or X10 light switch?

Hi -- I'd like to install a switch in my garage that controls the outside lights. They're now controlled only by a switch at the front entrance door, which is about 40 ft away from the garage. Wood frame house -- two walls between the switch positions. Yes, I could run 12-3 through the attic and down to the new and old switches but it would take a lot of work - fighting blown-in insulation, fishing wires, repairing dry wall.

I've looked at X-10 and all kinds of remote switches on the web and everything I find seems like serious overkill. Is there a switch that simply turns another switch and off? It could be wireless (RF) or it could inject HF signal into the AC, though that I think requires that it inject into the right AC leg. Obviously, there's no line of sight between the positions.

Thanks in advance --

Advertisement

philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by philS View Post
Hi -- I'd like to install a switch in my garage that controls the outside lights. They're now controlled only by a switch at the front entrance door, which is about 40 ft away from the garage. Wood frame house -- two walls between the switch positions. Yes, I could run 12-3 through the attic and down to the new and old switches but it would take a lot of work - fighting blown-in insulation, fishing wires, repairing dry wall.

I've looked at X-10 and all kinds of remote switches on the web and everything I find seems like serious overkill. Is there a switch that simply turns another switch and off? It could be wireless (RF) or it could inject HF signal into the AC, though that I think requires that it inject into the right AC leg. Obviously, there's no line of sight between the positions.

Thanks in advance --
I sell these all day long.....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023260...a#.UWF8L798v0c

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
OK, thanks. So, I spent about an hour reading Lutron documentation and am still confused. The companion switch can be located anywhere? Some of their lit says it has to be within 30 ft of main switch if there are intervening walls (as I said, there are 2, and distance is more like 40 ft). It also says switches are not designed for subfreezing temps. For the entrance-door switch that's ok but not for the garage. Will the companion switch in the garage be damaged if it experiences <32oF or just not function dependably?

I'd also like to be able to use compact fluorescent and have no interest in a dimmer function -- do they sell just a switch system?

Total load is ~400 W so that part seems fine.

(I did go to HD and talked with both of the electrical people who said they didn't sell anything like this. Odd, because I know both these folks pretty well and they've always given me good info, or else said simply "I don't know". )
philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by philS View Post
OK, thanks. So, I spent about an hour reading Lutron documentation and am still confused. The companion switch can be located anywhere? Some of their lit says it has to be within 30 ft of main switch if there are intervening walls (as I said, there are 2, and distance is more like 40 ft). It also says switches are not designed for subfreezing temps. For the entrance-door switch that's ok but not for the garage. Will the companion switch in the garage be damaged if it experiences <32oF or just not function dependably?

I'd also like to be able to use compact fluorescent and have no interest in a dimmer function -- do they sell just a switch system?

Total load is ~400 W so that part seems fine.

(I did go to HD and talked with both of the electrical people who said they didn't sell anything like this. Odd, because I know both these folks pretty well and they've always given me good info, or else said simply "I don't know". )
I've installed these devices pretty far away, they did spec out a recommended distance, but you'll be pretty impressed with them, also, they do make a non dimmable version of this switch. Order it online...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote