Simple (?) Line/load Question: 3 Wires (2 Black, 1 White) For 2 Spots - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Simple (?) line/load question: 3 wires (2 black, 1 white) for 2 spots

Howdy,

I'm putting an Aube TI040 timer in to control some outdoor lighting, replacing a busted timer at a home I just purchased. The previous timer was wired with a photocontrol I no longer plan on using.

For the line side, the timer has two spots (L1, L2). But coming out of the breaker box is 3 wires, 2 black and 1 white. Previously, one black ran to the now-busted timer, & one black and the white ran to the photocontrol. How do I hook these 3 wires up to the two L1 and L2 spots?

Similarly, for the load side, there are again 2 blacks and a white running to the lights, but just two slots for load on the timer (T1, T2). How should these be wired? The same way I'm guessing?

I greatly appreciate and advice. My apologies forany spelling or text errors, im posting this from my phone and its difficult to type properly.

Advertisement

Local Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

Bump for the morning crowd.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

How did it used to be wired?

Is the photocontrol still there?

Where in the panel are the two black wires from the panel connected?

What voltages do you get when measuring across the various wires (all possible combinations of two at a time)?

Assuming you get almost zero volts measuring between the two blacks out to the lights, the white out to the light and white to the panel (all possible combinations of two) try applying power to the blacks to the light and the white to the lights (all three combinations of two at a time). What happens?

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #4

I managed to get pictures from my cell phone to the work computer. These are of the timer and wiring that was there before, including the photocontrol that I'll no longer want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Is the photocontrol still there?
I removed it. It's sitting in my garage at the moment. I bought a new one and rewired it back the same way, just to test things out, but the lights still didn't work. I'm guessing the timer itself was busted, because it looked old old old and had seen better days.

Quote:
Where in the panel are the two black wires from the panel connected?
I'm not sure, all I see are the breaker switches.

Quote:
What voltages do you get when measuring across the various wires (all possible combinations of two at a time)? Assuming you get almost zero volts measuring between the two blacks out to the lights, the white out to the light and white to the panel (all possible combinations of two) try applying power to the blacks to the light and the white to the lights (all three combinations of two at a time). What happens?
My electrical knowledge is very limited, I didn't even know I was supposed to measure in combinations of two. I'll check this out tonight, I had just been holding my red and black tester things to each wire one at a time and was getting very small numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Simple (?) line/load question: 3 wires (2 black, 1 white) for 2 spots-imag0102.jpg   Simple (?) line/load question: 3 wires (2 black, 1 white) for 2 spots-imag0103.jpg