DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Siemens Main Lug Panel (

bozz 01-09-2013 10:31 AM

Siemens Main Lug Panel
Hi, I have a Siemens main Lug panel as the main electrical panel. I'm trying to find the amp rating for the panel, I've found only one number on it on a sticker, but I think it's for a rain tight cover. There are no other numbers on the panel. The number is WEQ12B

J. V. 01-09-2013 11:05 AM

The number is not any good. There has to be more info located inside the panel itself. You might need to remove the cover. Be very careful and get someone that knows what they are doing if you don't.
How many spaces do you have? Can you take a picture of it. Can you take a picture of the label?

bozz 01-09-2013 12:46 PM

Hi JV, the number I got was from inside of the panel, the panel has 12 spaces. I will get a picture of the panel and post it.


J. V. 01-10-2013 10:37 AM


Originally Posted by bozz (Post 1089746)
Hi JV, the number I got was from inside of the panel, the panel has 12 spaces. I will get a picture of the panel and post it.


No sticker on the panel door?
If not it has been removed.

bozz 01-10-2013 12:00 PM

Pictures of Panel
3 Attachment(s)
Hi J.V., here are the pictures of the panel, the one with the sticker is the only numbers on the panel.

Oso954 01-10-2013 05:46 PM

Depending when it was installed, that could be an ITE panel. (ITE was bought by Siemans)
No labels on the inner cover ? Or, do you even have the inner cover ?

The GE breaker should not be in the panel.

It might be time to get an electrician to review your system.

J. V. 01-11-2013 11:42 AM

You got me Bozz. Neither number works. You are correct. The numbers visible are for the cover. Indoor/Outdoor.
Where is the cover that goes between the front cover and the breakers? Do you have it and did not take a picture of it? You need it to hold the breakers in nice and straight and for safety?

It is a Main lug panel and must have a disconnect rated for the panel and service ahead of it. Feeding it. (this will tell you what size service it is) What is the rating of the disconnect? You must have one to be compliant. It must have a breaker or fuses in it. Look at the wires feeding the panel. Tell me what size they are.
The panel information is missing from your panel, as it should have been on the back of the cover or on the cover that holds the breakers in place. The cover you are not showing in the pictures.

HIVOLT 01-11-2013 11:55 AM

Looking at the lugs alone I would say it is rated at 100 amps.

bozz 01-11-2013 01:13 PM

Hi, J.V. the cover that holds the breakers in has nothing on it. There is no disconnect, this panel is fed from the meter to the right of the picture (out of sight). This house was built in 1976, not sure if a disconnect was required at that time in North Carolina. The feed to the left of the picture is to a sub panel that has empty spaces that I was intending to use for a Hot Tub install. But I think now I'm going to have a new 200 Amp panel installed with a main breaker in it to take care of the whole problem.

Thank you all for responding to my questions and helping me.

J. V. 01-12-2013 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1) The panel needed a main breaker since it was installed. If you are going to change it, then you will need a main breaker panel or a disconnect. Protecting the service conductors has always been required in the code for as long as I have worked out of a code book.
So, its a violation and should be addressed. The wires are unfused all the way from the utility transformer to the panel. This is not good. Your meter is your disconnect. The fire dept. and your insurance company would not like this at all.

I highly recommend the service be upgraded and you use a meter/main. Meter and panel in one enclosure. You might be able to eliminate the sub panel.* Here is a picture.

* Provided you have the space required in the meter main panel. You can still use the sub panel and feed it from the new service panel.

fa_f3_20 01-12-2013 11:03 AM

Actually, it's almost legal under the six-throws rule. It looks like slots 10 and 12 used to have a double-pole breaker and someone replaced it with two single-poles. If those were replaced with a double-pole, it would be legal.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1