Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #1

Share |

siemens load center....no ground bar?

I bought a 125 amp load center for a sub panel and mounted it to the wall....got my outlets and wiring run. now i am basically waiting on a friend of the family to come out and give everything a once over and he will wire up my sub panel and connect it to the main panel.
I noticed there is no ground bar. i dont get where all my copper grounds will be going.
Its a Siemens E0816ML1125S.

(this is indoors)

Last edited by Outlaws; 11-18-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #2

buy one
kbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #3

Lots of brands of panel come without a ground bar.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Do you have locknuts under those conduit bushings?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
Julius793 (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

If you continue using emt or ac then you do not need grounds. You MUST use a proper connections with include a locknut and the bushing. If you will be bringing Romex into the panel then buy a ground bar and attach it to the panel with threaded bolts such as 10-32's. being that you have cinder block behind the panel instead of attaching it to the back you may want to place the ground bar on the bottom.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Do you have locknuts under those conduit bushings?
I have a locknut on the outside of the box and the plastic bushing inside. there is no locknut in the inside under the bushing us that is the question. However the two solid conduits on the bottom are immovable. the 3/4" shoots down a foot to a box for my welder outlet that is mounted to the block. the 1" curves over two feet and hits a junction box and goes thru the wall..the main panel is right there.
The flex tubing is only about 8" and goes to the first outlet and then uses 1/2" solid metal conduit to the attic.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

The ironic part is that you need lock nuts on the inside of the panel and you don't need the plastic bushing.

The lock nut needs to be put on the inside of the panel and other boxes as well.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
J. V. (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
If you continue using emt or ac then you do not need grounds. You MUST use a proper connections with include a locknut and the bushing. If you will be bringing Romex into the panel then buy a ground bar and attach it to the panel with threaded bolts such as 10-32's. being that you have cinder block behind the panel instead of attaching it to the back you may want to place the ground bar on the bottom.
I am using Romex. I ran two sets of 12-2 thru the 1/2" to the attic. I was told to strip off the plastic while in the conduit. However i left about 6" of plastic on at the end before it leaves the conduit and goes into the attic. There are bushings up there too so nothing gets sliced.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaws View Post
I am using Romex. I ran two sets of 12-2 thru the 1/2" to the attic. I was told to strip off the plastic while in the conduit. However i left about 6" of plastic on at the end before it leaves the conduit and goes into the attic. There are bushings up there too so nothing gets sliced.
Who is giving you this information? Do not take one more bit of advice from them. They have no idea of what they are doing or telling you. You will not pass inspection listening to this BAD advise.

You do not ever strip romex (NM) to make single conductors for conduit. Never. You only strip the end than comes into the box. You are doing this completely ass backwards. Romex is not needed or required and sometimes a non compliant install when using any type of conduit.

You need locknuts on each conduit than enters any box. You are missing two (2) in the picture. You did not need bushings in the picture. But you can keep them as long as a locknut is installed below them.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
The ironic part is that you need lock nuts on the inside of the panel and you don't need the plastic bushing.

The lock nut needs to be put on the inside of the panel and other boxes as well.
simple enough fix. thanks. all other boxes used fittings for the conduit that had locknuts.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Who is giving you this information? Do not take one more bit of advice from them. They have no idea of what they are doing or telling you. You will not pass inspection listening to this BAD advise.

You do not ever strip romex (NM) to make single conductors for conduit. Never. You only strip the end than comes into the box. You are doing this completely ass backwards. Romex is not needed or required and sometimes a non compliant install when using any type of conduit.

You need locknuts on each conduit than enters any box. You are missing two (2) in the picture. You did not need bushings in the picture. But you can keep them as long as a locknut is installed below them.
I was told this by the electrician. I have a 5 foot run of conduit to my attic where it runs without conduit to where my other outlets will be and there is another 5 feet of conduit down to the outlet. He said to just buy romex and strip the plastic off for the conduit for heat reasons.

Last edited by Outlaws; 11-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.