Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Share |
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Hey guys I have a retaining wall about 15 feet from the edge or the pool. Its all concrete pass between wall and pool. The retaining wall is made of faced cinderblock and rock. The cinderblock part is filled with concreate. This part of the retaining wall has rebar in the base for added support. The pool equipment is about two feet away. The pool equipment is properly bonded to the pools bonding grid. However should the rebar in the wall have been bonded to the grid or is the distance far enough away?

Been reading about this whole bonding thing and figured i would ask

Thanks in advance

AlwayzSomethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,513
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwayzSomethin View Post
Hey guys I have a retaining wall about 15 feet from the edge or the pool. Its all concrete pass between wall and pool. The retaining wall is made of faced cinderblock and rock. The cinderblock part is filled with concreate. This part of the retaining wall has rebar in the base for added support. The pool equipment is about two feet away. The pool equipment is properly bonded to the pools bonding grid. However should the rebar in the wall have been bonded to the grid or is the distance far enough away?

Been reading about this whole bonding thing and figured i would ask

Thanks in advance
No. Not required.

__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. All other states click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Online motor calculator
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Online calculators
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Measure the AC voltage between the pool concrete and the retaining wall concrete. Concrete is reasonably conductive.

If it's 0.00 vac then connecting the two together won't make any difference.

If it's more than 1 volt some people with wet skin touching both may sometimes feel a tingle, or worse.

This should be interesting.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Measure the AC voltage between the pool concrete and the retaining wall concrete. Concrete is reasonably conductive.

If it's 0.00 vac then connecting the two together won't make any difference.

If it's more than 1 volt some people with wet skin touching both may sometimes feel a tingle, or worse.

This should be interesting.


INTERESTING IT US!!!!

How would i do that???
AlwayzSomethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwayzSomethin View Post
INTERESTING IT US!!!!

How would i do that???
Use any multimeter on the AC volts scale to measure the voltage between the pool concrete and the retaining wall concrete that is 2' away.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,074
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


The bonding is to equalize the potential between two conductive surfaces you could be touching at the same time.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,259
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


It's 15 ft away, how the funk would you touch the water and the wall at the same time?
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
It's 15 ft away, how the funk would you touch the water and the wall at the same time?
"The pool equipment is about two feet away." ?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,259
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
"The pool equipment is about two feet away." ?
Two feet away from what?

EDIT - and what does that matter?
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Two feet away from what?
I should have asked the OP that question.
Still, I'd like to know what kind of potential difference there is just for my general knowledge. At 15' he'll need to use an extension cord as a test lead.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,259
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
I should have asked the OP that question.
Still, I'd like to know what kind of potential difference there is just for my general knowledge. At 15' he'll need to use an extension cord as a test lead.
I don't get where you are going with it, who cares if there is a voltage potential, you're not going to be able to reach 15' from the pool water to the retainment wall.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
I don't get where you are going with it, who cares if there is a voltage potential, you're not going to be able to reach 15' from the pool water to the retainment wall.
They are huge, grounded, conductive masses. The measurement will help me decide what ground voltage differences are plausible and what are off-the-wall.
I hope.

My motives for being on this forum are different than yours.
This kind of measuring, calculating and rechecking are what got me illegally forced out of the corrupt federal agency that I once worked for.
I guess I haven't learned my lesson.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,259
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
They are huge, grounded, conductive masses. The measurement will help me decide what ground voltage differences are plausible and what are off-the-wall.
I hope.

My motives for being on this forum are different than yours.
This kind of measuring, calculating and rechecking are what got me illegally forced out of the corrupt federal agency that I once worked for.
I guess I haven't learned my lesson.

You're missing so much general knowledge on stray voltage though, not saying you'll never grasp it, but at first look, its going to be way over your head, let me post you a link so you can indulge yourself in.... hang a second....
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,259
Default

Should my retaining wall with rebar be bonded to pool grid?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAs_FmdxXhQ

Watch the whole video, very good watch..... might be a little hard to grasp.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retaining wall combining concrete blocks and PT lumber JEL Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 04-06-2012 08:39 PM
Cheapest Retaining wall diy4life Landscaping & Lawn Care 15 03-21-2012 10:18 AM
retaining wall around chimney stack Master Brian Building & Construction 0 08-25-2010 03:27 PM
Drainage Tile and Retaining Wall nabz Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 05-25-2009 01:22 PM
Adding drainage to existing retaining wall? pcballgame Landscaping & Lawn Care 5 04-14-2009 03:29 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.