Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Share |

Short plugging stove

Buying a house. Had the inspection today. When he plugged in the stove, huge sparks and the breaker tripped. He tried to reset the breaker, but it would not with the stove plugged in. He unplugged the stove and the breaker stayed on. The stove was just brought in to sell the house. Do we think it is the stove or the wiring?

zippster75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Short plugging stove

We think it's wired incorrectly.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Short plugging stove

If this is a foreclosure, need to pay for your own electrician to go over everything. Sounds to me, that the Inspector was a idiot. Never plug in a dryer or stove, without first turning off the breaker. That way you do not get a fire starter or worst.

BTW, since you are going to have to pay for a licensed electrician to go over the electrical before signing the contract, you might want to hit up a roofing contractor and HVAC tech also, so that if you really LOVE this home, better to get the bad stuff up front, than finding out after you sign the contract, and now stuck fixing it on your dime, not the sellers.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Short plugging stove

I would think it would be in the stove itself or how the cord was wired. Either way, probably not a deal breaker.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Short plugging stove

Strange, why was the stove not already pluged in?
Was this an inspector you hired, or one the realitor suggested?
Sounds like someone wired the ground wire to a hot line.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Short plugging stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Strange, why was the stove not already pluged in?
Was this an inspector you hired, or one the Realtor suggested?
Sounds like someone wired the ground wire to a hot line.
The part that I do not get or understand that the OP stated is "The stove was just brought in to sell the house." Never has a appliance been a deal breaker with me or my family. We got a brand new fridge & stove with the house when we bought in 2003, and the wash machine & dryer were left, since the lady that owned the house, since it was built by her husband, was moving to Texas to live with her daughter.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Short plugging stove

Thanks for the replies. The house when it was listed originally had the appliances in the kitchen. About 4 months ago an offer was made on the house and the appliances were in the garage (same ones) because a famile borrowed them. The buyer at that point back out. Now that we are looking the appliances are back in, but the stove was not plugged in. I placed in the offer that the appliances would stay and would be in working order. I guess I'm thinking that unless the wiring was changed in the house in the last year, something must have happened to the stove.
zippster75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Short plugging stove

Probably. Who ever "borrowed" it, probably hooked up either the wrong cord, or miswired it when they put the cord back on it. Tell the sellers to have an electrician look over the appliance and outlet if you wish. Like I stated before, if you LOVE the house, then make them fix things and prove in writing that the items were fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
J. V. (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

Short plugging stove

New appliances have a 4 wire plug, old ones have 3. If someone messed up when trying to wire it to work on the old 3 wire outlet I can see someone wiring it wrong.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Short plugging stove

Either the stove or the receptacle was not wired properly. Start with the stove first. And like others have said you should have the breaker off when plugging it in. It's possible that the receptacle was damaged when it shorted out and sparked. Home inspectors just give you a general overal idea of the whole home's condition. Very rare to find one that is a pro in all working systems in a home. Anyone with any knowledge at all would be able to determin if the receptacle was usable without a stove.